Setting up 1PW after clean install

Timo_2000
Timo_2000
Community Member

I had to do clean install to High Sierra. Trying to set it up, my 1PW doesn't read previous vault on Dropbox (7 to 7). It's greyed. Also. there's no .opvault end on it's name. Adding it doesn't help. Any advice?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Timo_2000 - sorry for the trouble! I'm not sure what (7 to 7) means, but if your vault doesn't have an .opvault file type, can you tell me what it does say? Feel free to take a screenshot of what you see, if that would be easier. Also, if you have any other devices which are still syncing to this keychain in Dropbox, you should check the specific file path there to make sure you've got the correct one -- sometimes, people have more than one older, disused keychain in Dropbox, especially if they've been users of 1Password for a while. Let me know what you discover! :)

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Add: I have purchased a licence for 1PW and downloaded 1PW from Appstore (prev. purchases). Did it send me the subscription version maybe?

Vault is /1Password.agilekeychain and it seems to be same on Iphone.

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

7 to 7 means I’m installing the same version 7 as I had already.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Timo_2000 - thanks for the clarification. The Agile Keychain format is now over 10 years old, and we made the decision in 1Password 7 for Mac to formally deprecate it. This means that 1Password 7 for Mac will not sync with any keychains still in the Agile Keychain format. However, since you have an iPhone that's also syncing your 1Password data, this will actually be relatively straightforward. Here's how to do it:

1. In 1Password for iOS, make sure your data is up-to-date.
    2. Go to Settings > Sync > (vault) > Sync Service - it should be set to Dropbox, via that Agile Keychain.
    3. Disable sync.
    4. On your Mac, open your Dropbox folder and locate the Agile Keychain. Move it somewhere else (out to your desktop).
    5. Return to your iPhone and switch sync back to Dropbox, using these instructions. This will cause 1Password for iOS to write out a new-format (OPVault) keychain in your Dropbox folder.
    6. Return to your Mac and verify the OPVault keychain is available in your Dropbox folder; assuming it is, proceed with the setup, syncing via Dropbox. This should work, this time.

Let me know how that goes for you! :)

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks for the advice, it worked.
    I got another little problem. Safari extension doesn't fill in login details but wants me to log to 1Passwod account first - which I don't have as it's a purchased license. What to do?

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks for the advice, it worked.

I've got another little problem. Safari extension doesn't fill in login details but wants me to log to 1Passwod account first - which I don't have as it's a purchased license. In Firefox, the extension is greyed! What to do?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Timo_2000 - 1Password 7 for Mac is indeed a new purchase for anyone who didn't purchase the previous version on or after March 27 of this year. The other way to use 1Password 7 for Mac is with a 1password.com membership. Did you purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac? If not, that'll be at least part of the reason -- have a look at any of your items in the main 1Password window -- do you see a Read Only badge? If so, that means 1Password is not licensed.

If you DO have a license (or a 1password.com account), and you're certain you've installed it (in the case of a license), then that's obviously not the problem. With 1Password 7 open and unlocked, what happens if you double-click a Login item from your list?

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back. I got a persistent "some components are newer" dialogue -bug trying to go back to 1PW6 again. My mistake to think the Appstore provided sw was the correct one to install (I did click it from 'previous purchases'...). After various adventures I managed to clear everything off and was able to use my old installer I found on a backup. Now the 6 has been working for me just like in the old days, again.

Frankly, I don't see the benefit for me to start paying a monthly fee from now on, as long as there's an option still. :)

Solved — thanks for your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Timo_2000 -- fair enough. You can purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, if you prefer that. This isn't so much about money as it is about not being comfortable recommending people stay with a retired, legacy version of software -- ours or anyone else's. It's your choice, of course; I'm just pointing out that you aren't required to open a 1password.com membership just to use 1Password 7 for Mac. Glad to hear things are working OK for you again. :)

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

That's news to me. I'm having difficulty to find that option on your site. All I see is subscriptions. Advice?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Timo_2000 - it's an in-app purchase. If you open and unlock 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll see the option in the 1Password menu in your Mac's menubar -- or by clicking the "Read Only" badge in any of your items. Hope that helps. :)

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Yeah, thanks. I found out. But only after I downloaded the version from your website, not the one from Appstore...

• Correct -- standalone licenses are not available from the App Store:

Getting 1Password 7 ready for the Mac App Store - AgileBits Blog

Sorry for any confusion caused by that point.

Ben

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Anyway, you had me... I took the sub trial. Now I'm still wondering a couple of things which you may be able to help with in your friendliness.

Where in the world are your servers located?

Will I be able to enter my VAT No with the subscription too, as I would buying the license, to get the VAT 0 %?

Appreciate your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@Timo_2000 - glad you're all set; let us know if you have any further questions. :)

Whoops - didn't see you and Ben had already gone back and forth once in the time I was briefly AFK. Our servers are in AWS locations US-East (northern Virginia), Frankfurt (.eu domain) and Montreal (.ca location).

You'll want to get in touch with our sales team at sales@1password.com for assistance with VAT-related issues. Make sure you include a link to this thread.

• Timo_2000
    Timo_2000
    Community Member

Wowow... How can I move my vault to EU? I take it it's now on your servers with this subs?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@Timo_2000 - unfortunately, the only way to move data from a .com domain to .eu (Frankfurt) is manually. Fortunately, if you have 1Password 7 for Mac, it's (relatively) easily accomplished. Head over to https://1password.eu and create an account, just as you did on .com. Once you've done that, you should be able to add your account into 1Password 7 for Mac, and then once you have both accounts signed in, you can move items between the accounts. When you're certain everything's been moved over from .com to .eu, you can remove the .com account from 1Password in Preferences > Accounts (select the account and click the minus button in lower-left of window), and finally visit your .com account in a browser, click Settings > Delete Account.

ref: HYA-58632-437

This discussion has been closed.