An observation about the password field UI

scarpent
scarpent
Community Member

First: I just switched to 1Password and love it. I can't compare to previous versions but the version 7 app is so nice to use. It is really well done and I have few quibbles. This is one of them. :-)

The custom fields are great, and I spent quite a bit of time moving things out of my old messy notes field into them. But the password field threw me off at first because of the way the gear icon works. I'm conditioned to think of a gear icon/button as an edit button, and was surprised that it would generate a new password when you click it, with no warning. (There's also no mouse over text with it to give you a hint.)

And once you've clicked on it, the old password is gone. This makes me nervous because the password fields don't have a history feature like the main password. You could cancel your changes, of course, but maybe you had already changed several other things, or maybe you mistakenly saved it too soon, perhaps before you were able to save the corresponding change on a web site.

Anyway, sure, you quickly learn how this works, but it still worries me a bit, and I thought I'd share this bit of new user experience with you. Not sure how I'd change it. At a minimum I'd have some mouseover text on the desktop version for new users. Perhaps a prompt is warranted as well, although I understand the desire and need to avoid bothering users with prompts overly much.

I'm certainly not suggesting a password history feature for each password field, which I imagine would be complicated to implement and could gum up the UI more, but would probably ease my mind quite a bit. (Side note: People really like to request features and I've seen that here, along with abuse from them when they don't get them, but as a software developer I get why you can't do all the things. I'm raising this fairly minor thing only because I already feel passionate about this great service and want to help if I can.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @scarpent! Thanks for the suggestion. It's an interesting idea, and I'm not sure how much extra code that would require. For the actual password field in Logins, it's easy (relatively) to do because it's always in the same position, can't be moved or changed to a different type of field inadvertently, etc. But the code should be similar for other fields. I just wonder also, as you say, how much that would "gum up" the UI. I'll pass along your idea though I'd be merely guessing if I told you I had any idea what might come of it.

Regarding the "side note," we're actually quite thankful to have an active and involved user community who aren't shy about telling us what direction they'd like to see 1Password take. You're right that we can't pursue each request (not least because some of them are actually 180° opposed to others), but we do appreciate them all. Many of the features or behaviors of 1Password that you see today began life at least in part as suggestions from the user community. I think it's important as developers to remind ourselves on a regular basis that we're not the only source of good ideas -- glad to see you agree. Thanks again for taking the time to stop by and contribute, nice to "meet" you. :)

This discussion has been closed.