1PW 4 - does it still work?

swg
swg
Community Member

Main computer is running 4 and I cannot see any of my logins online. I have a family account. I was hoping to be able to keep logins from the work machine in the app and access them from another machine running 1PW7. Isn't working for me. The Chrome extension is working, all my logins are available in the browser widget. Shouldn't these logins also automatically populate in the online vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• swg
    swg
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

To clarify, the Chrome widget on the machine running 1PW4 has logins, the 1PW7 machine doesn't - because I haven't added any. But I thought they would be shared across devices?

• Hi @swg

Welcome to the forum. Could you please answer a few questions for me?

1. Both of these computers are Macs?
    2. You’re currently running 1Password 4 for Mac on the computer where your data exists?
    3. On that computer you see your data in the 1Password Chrome extension but not in the main application?
    4. What operating system is the computer with your 1Password data running?

Ben

• swg
    swg
    Community Member

1 - yes. one is a macbook pro, the other is a mac pro. 1PW4 is on the mac pro.

2- yes

3- no. I see data in both the extension and the application on the mac pro.

4- 10.9.5

My expectation of the software is that the data would be visible in the online account as well. In other words that the logins visible in the application would also be in the online account screens.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@swg - thanks for the clarification. 1Password 4 for Mac does not (and will never) support 1password.com accounts; a 1password.com account requires 1Password for Mac 6.6 or later. That means, if you have data in 1Password 4 for Mac on a different computer, you're either not syncing that data or you're using one of our advanced methods such as iCloud or Dropbox. Either way, there will be no way to sync your data between 1Password 7 for Mac using a 1password.com account, and another Mac running 1Password 4 for Mac. Knowing that, can you tell us how you'd like to proceed -- what you're trying to accomplish? We'll help you get set up, if what you want is possible. :)

• swg
    swg
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I want to sync between the mac pro (v4) and macbook pro (v7). I prefer not to change the OS of the mac pro. Are you saying this is not possible or it is only possible using iCloud?

And next question: if both computers were running v7 would I be able to sync between machines?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@swg - it is not possible using a 1password.com account. It's not possible using iCloud either, as (if you recall) Apple did a major re-write of iCloud a few years ago, switching from the older Documents & Data format to the newer iCloud Drive (and CloudKit) format. The two are not compatible, as 1Password 4 for Mac dates to back in the older iCloud format days. Your only real choice would be using Dropbox for your sync, and I'm not even sure how well that would work. It would depend upon how current a version of the Dropbox app you could download for so old a version of OS X, and it would also be subject to the fact that the new sync keychain format required by 1Password 7 for Mac -- OPVault -- was just starting to be used during 1Password 4 for Mac's existence (the older Agile Keychain was much more prevalent at the time), and 1Password 4 for Mac's support for OPVault is...not what later versions was.

Truth be told, it will be an unpredictable and likely problem-ridden venture to try syncing data from 1Password 4 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac. If you want to keep 1Password data in sync between those two Macs, I'd suggest upgrading the OS on the Mac Pro to at least OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite" - which would allow you to install 1Password 6 for Mac and thus use either your 1password.com account OR Dropbox or iCloud). There really are no other good options with versions that far apart in time. Mavericks itself was released in October of 2013, and 1Password 4 for Mac was released just earlier that month. That's nearly five years; almost an eternity in computer time. I wish I had better news for you, but at this point, you're kind of swimming against the tide, so to speak.

• swg
    swg
    Community Member

That's fine news and a good explanation. I will investigate 10.10.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@swg - sounds good. :)

ref: BFW-92647-885

• swg
    swg
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Deleted - found the solution.

• :+1: :)