Want access to my vault on an additional iMac.

sorazem
sorazem
Community Member

I purchased a second iMac and want to have full access to my iPassword vault on both my original computer and the new one, with full syncing so that changes made on either computer are updated on the other device. The instructions I found online are only for moving to a new computer, rather than adding... (I have a ver.7 family subscription license, with access to my emergency kits info) Thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:copy my vault to a second computer

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sorazem - you're in great shape, then! With a 1password.com account, you only need to sign into your account on your new iMac, and all your data will appear (nearly) instantaneously -- and be kept in sync with all your other devices where you use 1Password, too!

On your new Mac, install 1Password 7 for Mac (if you haven't already). Because this is a new computer (and therefore there will be no previous 1Password data on it), you'll get this screen:

Under "Used 1Password before?" choose the 1Password.com option, then either scan your Setup code or enter your 1password.com account credentials manually, and that's it. If you were expecting a more-complicated setup, well...happy (sorry?) to disappoint. ;)

Let us know if you have any questions or difficulties! :)

• sorazem
    sorazem
    Community Member

Thank you. One more question. How do I determine if I'm using iCloud or Dropbox to sync between computers? In 1Password 7 preferences I no longer see the SYNC section...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@sorazem - You report that you are using a family membership subscription. Unless you did something specifically to prevent it, you began syncing automatically on 1Password's servers when you set up 1Passsword 7. You aren't using either iCloud or Dropbox any longer. And there aren't options to adjust with this way of doing things. 1Password just takes care of it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sorazem - what @hawkmoth said is exactly correct. One of the reasons we created 1password.com accounts in the first place is that everything (as Steve Jobs used to say) "just works," without having to mess around with setting up, maintaining and potentially troubleshooting advanced, 3rd party sync. Was there some trouble? Did your data not appear once you signed in on the new iMac? It should have.

• sorazem
    sorazem
    Community Member

Thank you Hawkmoth, I remember that was the system now. I have had individual licenses of multiple generations of 1 Password over the years and always used Dropbox. Forgot that the Family subscription with 7 eliminated all that.

Lars. Thank you as well. No, there was not any issue with the Family & vault move. In finalizing my housekeeping on the new iMac I spotted an old 1Password.agilekeychain in my Dropbox folder. It caused me to wonder where the sync was occurring with ver 7, which is why I asked the second question...

On your note regarding using one thread going forward. Sorry about that. As you can see from the response above, I thought I was acknowledging I had received your response by thanking you and then was only attempting to politely ask what I consider a separate question.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sorazem - no problem! Glad to hear everything's good for you right now. Thanks for being a 1Password user, and let us know if you run into any questions or difficulties. :)

This discussion has been closed.