Move from multiple individual local accounts to 1 synced family account

Options
tgogolin
tgogolin
Community Member

My wife and I both use 1Password via separately purchased individual licenses. Neither of us yet is a subscriber.
I'm interested in converting to a Family subscription, but I'm unclear on what the upgrade / data migration would look like for each of us. I.e. how do we merge our data into a shared vault? I'm on 1Password 6 (Mac and iOS synced via Dropbox), she's on 1Password 4 (Windows).

Would it be as simple (after the upgrade to the subscription) as: I see BOTH my existing Dropbox vault and a new shared vault that is synced via 1Password.com, and can optionally drag stuff from the previous one to the shared one? And similarly for her? Would she need to upgrade her data to a newer app version first? Sorry if the multiple vault visibility question is odd: I'm still on 1Password6 and have never used a second vault.

Is there any DISADVANTAGE to continuing the use of the previous (Dropbox synced) vault (i.e. would that vault and it's syncing continue to function?), or is there good reason to move everything to the 1Password.com managed ones?

1Password Version: 6.8.9 and 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac and Win
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@tgogolin

Thanks for your interest in 1Password Families. We have a migration guide which may be helpful available here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once each of you have migrated your data into your respective Personal vaults you can then move any items you wish to share into the Shared vault.

Is there any DISADVANTAGE to continuing the use of the previous (Dropbox synced) vault (i.e. would that vault and it's syncing continue to function?), or is there good reason to move everything to the 1Password.com managed ones?

There are a few, yes, continuing to keep the current (“Primary”) vault is not recommended. For one it make it such that 1Password does not unlock with your 1Password.com account password, which is not ideal.

Ben

• tgogolin
    tgogolin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response! That link looks helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that Ben was able to help, and if you have any other questions about 1Password just let us know. We're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.