Is there anyway to find the password for 1password.opvault in Dropbox back?

ranimo
ranimo
Community Member

God... I really need help...
I forgot my password for my vault in Dropbox... Realized this after I uninstalled my 1password 6 to update to 1password 7...

Now... I am feeling horrible... I don't know if I can get all my password back...
Please please help
Any lead would be much appreciated!!!

1Password Version: 1password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• philstubbington
    philstubbington
    Community Member

I've just had the same problem, and sorted it by changing the location of the vault to iCloud from DropBox. I was 99% certain I knew the password too!

Do you have the data stored locally on any device?

• philstubbington
    philstubbington
    Community Member

OK, it gets even stranger!

Having now synced with iCloud, I wondered what would happen if I moved the vault on my Mac out of DropBox and created a new vault.

It seems to work just fine, with what I thought the password was in the first place.

Go figure!

• ranimo
    ranimo
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Thank you for your reply...

unfortunately, I have stored the data on my iPad as well... however... I am trying to remember the master password on my iPad ( please don't judge me...)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ranimo! I'm sorry things are going sideways for you here; let's see if I can shed a little light on things. For one thing, if you created a 1password.com account when you upgraded from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac, you may have chosen a different Master Password for your account than the one you used to use for your standalone data. Could that be part of the problem? In a standalone setup, the vault password for your Primary vault is also your Master Password for unlocking 1Password. If you have more than just the single Primary vault, each additional vault would have its own vault password...but would still be unlocked by the Master Password in 1Password for Mac (that's how we get to call ourselves 1Password instead of "1Password for every vault you have" ;) ).

How many vaults did you have in your standalone setup, previously? And have you tried your former Master Password to get back into your data? Or is that the password you forgot?

• ranimo
    ranimo
    Community Member

@Lars Thank you for your reply!
    I think I only have one vault previously on my mac. I used to use WiFi sync and Dropbox to sync data onto my iPhone and iPad... ( I am too used to unlock 1password using finger print, now I forgot my master password :( also... I reinstalled my 1password APP on my iPhone, which is a mistake :( and can't recall the password for Dropbox vault... I hate myself... )

I uninstalled my 1password 6 and thought all the data will be synced after I install 1password 7? However, after installing the 7, nothing happened... eventually uninstalled the 7 and went back to the 6... and I got this error popup:

and then... I was stuck...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ranimo - if you've forgotten your Master Password because you were using Touch ID for too long, there's unfortunately very little I can do to help you, if you no longer have a device on which you can use your fingerprint to access your data. Do you? Is there any device on which you can still access your 1Password data by just using your fingerprint? If so, we can transfer data. If not, however, you're going to need to start over, and your data will be lost. If you think you might be able to remember your Master Password, you can try the steps found in this guide. Let me know how you get on -- crossing my fingers for you. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philstubbington - please see my comments to @ranimo - if you've created multiple vaults, or if you have a 1password.com account that you (perhaps inadvertently) created, you may indeed have more than one Master Password, depending on which vault you're trying to open. In standalone 1Password, each vault does indeed have a separate password, but the Primary vault opens all the other vaults you have within 1Password for Mac. With a 1Password account, there is a single Master Password for everything. Are you able to access your data now, or are you still having difficulties?

• philstubbington
    philstubbington
    Community Member

Hi @Lars , I’m able to access it but I have no idea how!

I switched from Dropbox to iCloud and back again, using exactly the same password which wasn’t accepted on the first round with Dropbox, and it worked.

Very, very odd!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philstubbington - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.