1 Password iOS 12 Autofill - Issue with multiple selection

celogeek
celogeek
Community Member

Great feature but they is room for improvement.
First, it only works with the default keyboard. I have Google Keyboard, and the plugin doesn't show up.
Second, when we have several possibles choices, it only displays the URL and username... but not the title!

See:

How can I select the right one in this configuration?

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• gordon3834
    gordon3834
    Community Member

Yep. It's a big problem for me as well. I don't know if this is a limitation of the API or not…

How it looks in Safari. Impossible to tell which login to use. Shows top-level domain only:

How it looks when you press the "1Password" button. Easy to tell them apart:

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member

Looks like the developers simply need to provide our custom titles instead of the individual usernames. That's what I would prefer anyway. It would be cleaner, too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

Those are great ideas, but the presentation of the iOS 12 autofill is handled entirely by the system. It couldn't hurt to offer those suggestions as feedback to Apple. Probably wouldn't be possible for it to happen for 12.0, but perhaps it's something they'll iterate on in future updates. Here's hoping. In the mean time, the 1Password extension can offer you that kind of UI. :)

• Thanks for the reports, folks. To iterate on @Brenty's response, the presentation of items in the QuickType bar and the initial popup menu you see when tapping the key is handled completely by iOS. The only things we are able to provide there are your username and the website domain name.

If you need to disambiguate your logins you'll need to tap the 1Password… button to bring up our user interface.

• berryp
    berryp
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I too use Google Keyboard. Not quite as convenient, but if you tap the password field the system keyboard should show up and then you can use autofill.

Edit: I just had a couple of sites show the autofill box with no keyboard in Safari. The username field was pre-selected on the webpage.

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Scenario:
    1) When I'm on a domain called www.example.com and I use one password, my username is emoore and my password is testing123.
    2) When I'm on a domain called www.example.com/testing/ and I use one password, my username is emoore and mypassword is 123testing.

Problem
    When I'm using 1password on my desktop in this scenario is not an issue, because I'm shown my custom password login titles that I created. However, when I'm using 1password on my iphone, this IS an issue, because I'm shown my username emoore multiple times instead of my custom login titles. I don't know which username to select since I'm shown all my emoore usernames, but each emoore username has a different password. So I'm constantly clicking each one trying to find the right emoore login. I'm now memorizing which emoore username to select per website on the same domain.

Solution
    Don't show the username, but instead show the custom title just like you do on the desktop app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@evanmoore: Your example doesn't make sense (typo?) but I think I know what you're saying. Unfortunately the iOS autofill API doesn't give us control over what's displayed. You can, however, get the behaviour you want by opening 1Password itself, since we do have control over its presentation. As mentioned above, you can do that by using the 1Password iOS extension, or tapping "1Password..." in the iOS 12 autofill menu. I hope this helps! :)

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Ahhh... I see what you mean now... Excuse me from not reading the answers above....

I'm shocked you have no control of the "Choose a save password to use" QuickType bar that appears when I click the key icon.

I understand why this QuickType presentation exists, because majority users probably won't have dozens of the same username but with different passwords on the same domain like me.

With that said, there's a setting under 1Password iOS app > Settings > General > "Recently Used Items", which I've set to 0, because I don't want recently used items to appear in my Favorites. May I request a similar setting as a toggle? It would be like Settings > General > Shortcuts > On/Off

It's my suggestion to give us the option to manually disable password shortcuts for us minority users at the very least until iOS autofill API gives you this control.

By the way -- I am truly grateful for what you've accomplished with integrating 1password using Apple's API and in no way my suggestion is to be disrespect. I'm just really excited to be apart of this beta so my community suggestions could be heard early before the official product release.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@evanmoore: No excuse necessary! It's new to all of us, and we're grateful for you and everyone else who is participating in the beta. Thanks for the kind words, and your feedback! :chuffed:

I have a question though:

It's my suggestion to give us the option to manually disable password shortcuts for us minority users at the very least until iOS autofill API gives you this control.

But "shortcuts", do you mean getting rid of the list of Saved Passwords that comes up in iOS 12 Autofill, so that you just have to tap "1Password..." every time to choose one there?

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Yes! That's exactly what I'm saying.

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
  • Thanks for the feedback, and for the video, @evanmoore.

Ben

• evanmoore
    evanmoore
    Community Member

Awesome! Anytime. I removed my file from being accessed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.