Item not synced from iPhone to Dropbox

seeemef
seeemef
Community Member
Hello. I am having an intermittent problem with DropBox syncing when I add an item on my iPhone. It may be that it occurs when my 3G connection is weak. After I add the item, 1Password seems to try to sync but apparently fails. Then ever after, the item exists on my iPhone but does not participate in DropBox syncing.

DropBox syncing in general is working, and I can subsequently test adding items on my iPhone when I have strong 3G or Wi-Fi or on my Mac and see them sync to the other device; and then test deleting the items and see them go to the trash on the other device.

I've also tried editing the stubborn item on my iPhone (to add a note, for example), and I see the network indicator subsequently activate (perhaps indicating that 1Password is doing a DropBox sync?), but no change is alerted via Growl on my Mac.

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Please try resetting Dropbox syncing on your iOS device:

1Password > Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset
  • Winston9
    Winston9
    Community Member

I have had the same problem in reverse. How do I reset Dropbox syncing on my mac?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Winston9,

If you are having trouble getting your Mac to sync via Dropbox, our announcement here: 1Password Losing Sync Permissions After a System Restart explains the situation and your available options. You can reset Dropbox sync in Preferences > Sync.

• Winston9
    Winston9
    Community Member

Hi Megan
    Thank you for your helpfull attention.
    Update (from the work I did in the wee hours of the night):
    a) I reset my Drop box on both macs ( as you described above)
    b) I consulted this article
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/19604/dropbox-sync-fails-after-restarting-computer-confirmed-mas-sandboxing-bug
    c)I confirmed my file structure
    Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.
    d) Woke this morning and restarted both systems multiple times and tested syncing.... this morning it is working great.

new question: I would like to defer to your expertise.
    Should I be syncing with iCloud instead? Which syncing platform do you feel is more stable at this time?
    Unless things get out of sync again I am leaning towards staying with the known as apposed to switching and keeping an eye on it. But I have not installed the new 1PW 4 on all my new IOS devices yet and I was wondering if drop box was also showing sings of this same problem when syncing to IOS devices. I have not been able to get my smart folder on my imac to sync to other devices.( a separate topic) but I wanted to mention it hear incase it was known to be connected to this problem. Thank you Winston.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WInston9,

I'm so glad to hear that you got things up and running again ... eventually! I'm sorry that it was a bit of a process for you.

In terms of the recommended syncing solution, I hesitate to say that one is the 'better' choice. It really does come down to personal preference: some people prefer iCloud because it is a solution offered from within the operating system with no external programs to install, and others love the cross-platform availability of Dropbox. We have been able to work with Dropbox over the years to ensure that syncing is as smooth and secure as it can be, which is nice. There have been a few issues with both sync solutions during the early days of 1Password 4, but our developers have been working hard to get any bugs squashed, and currently, both options now seem to behaving properly (for the most part!)

I was wondering if drop box was also showing sings of this same problem when syncing to IOS devices.

There is good news here - this issue has been restricted to 1Password 4 for Mac only, and our developers have managed to squash this bug entirely, so you should see an update soon that resolves things.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• Winston9
    Winston9
    Community Member

thank you very much Megan All good news

This discussion has been closed.