sync does not complete in iphone

gkran
gkran
Community Member

I run 1password on Mac, iphone and ipad. The iphone and ipad have version 7.1.1. Mac has version 6.8.9. WiFi Sync.

I sync multiple vaults between devices. The iPad works grea: the syncs complete in seconds.

My iPhone 6SE with latest IOS, got in state where the sync never completes. I then erased 1password data on the iPhone, deleted and reinstalled the app, and only tried to sync the primary vault. It re-downloads the entries of the primary vault, but the sync process never completes. (phone says it is syncing and has Never Synced).

How can I fix this?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:sync does not complete

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkran - I'm sorry for the trouble you're having just now with WLAN sync. We've got a great troubleshooting guide for WLAN sync, which is the place to start. Let us know how that goes for you.

• gkran
    gkran
    Community Member

The troubleshooting guide seems to focus on issues where the phone does not see the Mac.
    My iPad completes the syncs correctly. The iPhone sees the Mac and will sync items in the primary vault (I erased all 1password data and the items are restored) but it just never complete the sync, and it will not move on to the other vaults.

Could there be a corrupt entry or such that causes the sync to hang?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkran - potentially, yes -- but if that were the case, it'd be unlikely to work on one device but not the other, using the same WLAN sync source (your Mac, running 6.8.9). Assuming you don't have a great deal of data you've changed/added on the iPhone that is not yet synced back to your Mac, you could always reset your sync connection:

• In 1Password for iOS, go to Settings > Sync.
    • Tap each vault in turn and then "Disable sync" until none of your vaults are syncing via WLAN or any other method
    • Restart 1Password -- swipe it up and off the application switcher on your phone, then re-launch it.
    • Return to Settings > Sync and set up WLAN sync again.

Let me know how that works for you. If it doesn't work, the next step would be to erase your 1Password data on your iPhone and begin again; import the vaults/data from square one on a refreshed sync connection. Let me know if you need to do that and I'll give you instructions.

• gkran
    gkran
    Community Member

I solved this and thought you may be interested in the solution.

I wiped 1p from the iPhone, upgraded to IOS12 and restarted; same problem. I then completely uninstalled 1P from my mac and re-installed. As I imported each of the 4 old vaults into the fresh 1password install, it asked for their passwords (I believe I had them all set to the same master password). When I imported one of these vaults, the master password did not work and I could not figure out its password.

I used the iPad to transfer this vaults entries to a new vault and deleted the vault with unknown password. Now the iPhone syncs perfectly. I am not sure why the iMac and iPad could access this vault but not the phone, but I am back.

One last question. As mentioned, I have multiple vaults on a Mac, and use Wi-fi sync to sync with an ipad and iphone. If I upgrade to the stand-alone 1password7 on the mac, will I lose any of these capabilities? I am very satisfied with the product but will not store my data in the cloud.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkran - thanks for the update, and glad to hear you were able to find a solution. 1Password 7 for Mac fully supports WLAN sync capability just as version 6 did. Assuming you aren't running very old versions of 1Password for iOS on any of your devices, you should be just fine.

This discussion has been closed.