Firefox browser add on needs encouragemnent to open!

spock999
spock999
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

1Password7 automatically updated on 30 August to 7.1.1 and the Firefox extension to 4.7.3.90. I now find that the Firefox extension doesn't open when the icon in the toolbar is clicked. If I open 1Password7 itself then the extension will open. This is new behaviour after the update.

High Sierra 10.13.6 is the OS

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spock999: I understand most of what you're saying, though I am not seeing the same behaviour here, but this has me baffled:

If I open 1Password7 itself then the extension will open.

And maybe it can account for the difference with what you're seeing. Can you elaborate?

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

I am currently working on my iMac. I keep 1Password7 in the dock for easy access. So if I try to use the 1Password extension in Firefox after 1Password7 is locked nothing happens. However if I click on the 1Password7 icon in the dock the app itself opens and then I can click on the extension and it will then open.

I agree it is wierd. Today, it was the first time I had tried to use it after switching on the computer. Yesterday it happened to my wife after the computer hadn't been used for a while. I have it set up to switch off the displays but not go to sleep. It didn't work for me then until after opening 1Password7. I am not certain it happens all the time but it has happened enough times to make me wonder what is happening.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spock999: Hmm. Thank you. Okay. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm at a loss to make sense of what you're describing. When you encounter this problem, if you open Activity Monitor, do you see 1Password running there? Do you see the 1Password icon in the menu bar? I'm wondering if 1Password is not running in the background for some reason.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

OK! I have just turned the computer off and then started it after a short while.

In dock, 1Password7 had the little dot alongside it. It did not appear in the menu bar and the Firefox extension didn't work. Activity monitor showed no sign of 1Password Extension Helper.

On clicking on the dock icon, the extension helper and menu icon appeared and the browser extension worked.

In preferences, I have the option to always have the extension helper running and to have the menu icon.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Just checked again all the same but 1Password7 does show but with zero CPU time.

• @spock999

Can you please try unchecking the option to kee the helper running, restart your Mac, and then re-check that option? Does that help?

Ben

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

2 restarts later, that seems to have sorted out the problem.

I have this problem every time with Monosnap every time it is updated. I guess something is left out of step after the update. Can it be sorted with the update or will I have to do this every time there is an update? That could get a bit irritating!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spock999: I don't think it will happen again. At least it shouldn't. The settings should be saved just like anything else. However, if you're having similar problems with other apps as well, and it happens repeatedly, there may be a deeper permissions issue on your machine. Worth trying to boot into safe mode to repair the disk. Failing that, it would be a good idea to contact Apple. It should not be necessary for you to jump through a bunch of hoops just for apps to retain their settings.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

As it happens, I did a disk check/repair in safe mode before I recently upgraded to High Sierra. No problems noted at all. I don't have problems with anything else but Monosnap so I don't regard it as a general issue. The app is useful but I must confess to doubts about their technical capability.

Not ones I feel about the 1Password staff and I just didn't make any connection between the two issues.

All that remains is to thank you and the team for looking into this problem and resolving it.

• Thanks for the update @spock999. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.