Cannot signin in my 1password.ca [.com/.ca/.eu entirely separate from each other]

Gilles9
Gilles9
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

Hello

I have a subcription account
works fine with 1password.com, can sign in with credentials
but
I cannot sign in with same credentials in 1password.ca ( the canadian site )

any reason, rational for this ?

If I wish to pay my subscription in Canadian dollars, I would not be able, so am I stuck with a US subscription
this does not make sense

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Currently that is the situation. If you have a subscription at 1password.com, this is totally separate from 1password.ca or 1password.eu

Would be nice if we could transfer subscriptions over, but it can't be done at present.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

funny I can't reply here

• @Gilles9

I don’t follow. You did reply here. :)

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

well I think they should merge (or make them in sync) those sites, so access can be granted through any of these .com .ca or .eu

I choose the .com one for my subscription as I think it was the only one available, and we could only pay in USD$ (only price available then)

this seems to have change, so I do I get the choice to pay in CAD$ or USD$, (exchange rates keep on changing)

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

Dang!! I didn't even know there was a Canadian site. Ben, when I am up for renewal, can I switch to the Canadian site and pay Canuck bucks??

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Gilles9

Some good reasons are within https://1password.com/legal/privacy/ and https://1password.com/legal/gdpr/

Data is intentionally kept separated. I would say it is highly unlikely that the data will ever be linked, synced or otherwise based upon different laws governing different countries/regions. With individuals wanting protections afforded to them with their data being housed in specific locations.

*I am just an end user, like yourselves and this is my interpretation of what I have read. It is not a statement by AgileBits.

@VirgilBoy

It would have to be a manual process with you doing the data movement work via a client (Mac/Win etc). Its not that hard in my understanding. I would advise you to contact support directly for help in this regard. support@1password.com You may be able to move before then, I am not familiar with the process and can only speculate with ways the staff can assist.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I can add from experience that changing from one to the other is not difficult provided you set up your new account while the old one is still active.

If you are concerned about privacy, it may be worth changing. But there are a few advantages in staying with 1password.com. There are gift cards available for 1password.com that can't currently be used on other sites, and they had (maybe still have?) a discount for the high value crds that cover several years' subscription. Also, if one needs help, then very occasionally the fact that more staff members are in the USA than elsewhere can speed up the help, though this isn't usually relevant.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@danco you write: "If you are concerned about privacy, it may be worth changing"
    what should I understand, privacy is better in Canada !!??

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

@danco and @thightower thanks for the feedback. I will likely contact support and convert just before my subscription renewal date.

• The privacy laws of Canada and the EU are generally considered “better” than those in the US. The links thightower provided above may be helpful.

One other thing I would note is that support for .ca and .eu accounts may be a bit slower, as those account details cannot be looked up by 1Password Team Members in the US. You’d need a Canadian or European Team Member to assist with any account related issues, whereas the entire team can help with issues on .com accounts.

Generally unless there is really good reason to do so I don’t recommend changing instances (e.x. from .com to .ca), but there is a manual process you can complete to do so if you’d like. Please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com for assistance with it.

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I'll do, good reason is privacy laws ( EU and CA )

thanks @ben

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.