Auto-filled password not accepted initially, is accepted 2nd or 3rd time

Krzystofczyk
Krzystofczyk
Community Member

I am seeing more and more sites exhibiting this behavior: I am using Safari v11.1.2. I use the browser plug-in to open-and-fill a site. The web site opens, I see the correct username filled in and the password field filled (generally showing "******"). The browser starts loading, then returns either to the login page with no data in the fields, or showing an error that that the username / password are incorrect. If I press Cmd+\, the fields are refilled, the and the login works. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times of pressing Cmd+\ before the login works. I have seen this on many different sites, both external sites (think banks or credit cards, etc.) and in internal sites at my work, behind our VPN wall. Earlier versions of 1Password did not have this problem. This isn't brand new, I'd say I first saw it more than a year ago. I have definitely upgraded 1Password several times since the problem first was exhibited. I have just now felt like I've done my due diligence in searching the forums without finding the answer and felt it was time to ask about the problem. I do not seem to have this problem when opening the same sites on iOS: the password is filled once and it works. As more things move to complex passwords and providing most services on the web, it's becoming a growing problem. Is there something I can do to fix this, or is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Auto-filled password not accepted initially, is accepted 2nd or 3rd time

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Krzystofczyk! Please have a look at this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88869/open-and-fill-with-safari-11-1 -- does this sound like what you're experiencing? If you follow the suggested workaround steps in that post and some sites are still not working for you, it may be a function of something having changed on the login page itself, or of something being a bit off with your saved item. Often, re-saving the item manually will clear up this issue.

One other thing I should mention to you is that if Safari is your primary browser, be prepared for auto-submit not to work at all in the upcoming Safari 12/Mojave. Apple has formally blocked the behavior we had been using to auto-submit items in previous versions (which was a small script file that simulated the press of the return key). It's certainly a usability regression, but one we can't avoid -- and I can't argue with Apple's logic, either (the simulation of a return/enter key-press is also what many major pieces of malware use to install themselves).

On iOS, there's never been an expectation of auto-submission because iOS explicitly prohibits it, which is why this behavior probably seems much smoother and more glitch-free to you on that platform. If you un-check "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" in Preferences > Browsers (in version 6.x only; this box does not exist in 1Password 7 for Mac), you'll approximate the same behavior of 1Password for iOS. And it may help prepare you for the coming changes in Safari 12 and Mojave.

• Krzystofczyk
    Krzystofczyk
    Community Member

On the initial thread, that does not look like what I'm experiencing: I have tried to click in a field on the form before pressing Cmd+\, and that doesn't help (so it doesn't seem to be the current focus as discussed in the first work-around). I have also tried to use an open tab, with the same problem, so the 2nd work-around also doesn't seem to work. I've changed the setting to always open a new window and will monitor this going forward. I'll also look into other browsers. I THOUGHT I saw this same behavior with Opera, but I'm not sure; and I can try using FireFox as well. If this is a Safari-only issue, changing default browsers could work, too.
    Thanks for the tip on the upcoming changes to Safari and Mojave, as well as the info that there's a 1Password 7! I don't regularly look to the web site, I tend to rely on getting a note that there's a new update, either from the app or in email. I hadn't seen either -- time to look into updating!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Krzystofczyk - yeah, we announced 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows back in May, and it's one of the biggest upgrades we've ever released! Have a look at either (or both) blog posts for all the details including pricing -- and let us know if you have any questions. We've also got a great guide for upgrading whenever you're ready.

With regard to the filling issue, let me know what you discover -- and if you're not averse to sharing the URL(s), we can look into it here as well, if it seems like something that 1Password isn't filling properly.

• Krzystofczyk
    Krzystofczyk
    Community Member

Defs planning on upgrading; but for now, with 1Password 6, still getting the same weird issue. I've tried the setting to always open a new window in Safari, with the same result: the window will refresh and remove state the username / password are wrong, but hitting Cmd+\ once or twice more works. The "twice" more is the confusing part: why would it work the 2nd time, not the first? I've also duplicated this with Opera and FireFox.
    I still need to get to you with external URLs, the ones I use daily are behind our firewall. The problem at Chase (https://www.chase.com) seems to work now (in that a new window opens, and no username / password is filled, but that when I press Cmd+\, it fills it and logs in). So it's better, I think. I'll have to walk through my other external URLs and see if I find any repeatable problem like I see behind our firewall.

• @Krzystofczyk

Do you have the option to keep the 1Password helper / mini running enabled in 1Password > Preferences?

Ben

• Krzystofczyk
    Krzystofczyk
    Community Member

In 1Password, I have the general option "Always keep 1Password mini running" enabled (not a change, always had that on). So, I've tried a few things, and found I may have gotten things working. I'm not seeing the issue on chase.com anymore. For our VPN site, I found that after it tells me that I can't log on (when first opened), the URL is slightly different. So I changed the URL in 1Password. Now, when I open the VPN site, it opens, quickly tells me that my login is incorrect, but proceeds to re-submit and open (or at least that's what it looks like). The result is that it actually opens. It still is strange that the first time I two times Cmd+\ it failed, but then worked the 3rd time. Now, it seems to work AND seems to submit twice, but then works (without me forcing the password with Cmd+). I'm confused, but happy things are working.
    Now on to looking into that v7 upgrade! Thanks for the help!

• Thanks for the update @Krzystofczyk. A bit of a mystery to be sure, but I'm glad to hear it seems to be working.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.