transfer 1Password to new iMac

thegooddr
thegooddr
Community Member

I want to transfer my 1Password from my mid-2011 iMac to a new iMac. Years ago, I paid a 1-time cost for 1Password (currently running vers. 6.6.8) and sync my iDevices via WLAN. What are the steps to transfer to a new iMac? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.6.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS High Sierra vers 10.13.6
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:transfer 1Password to a new computer

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

Welcome to the forum, @thegooddr! I presume you meant 6.8.6, since 6.6.8 never existed, and if your purchase was from the Mac App Store, you'll have been getting regular updates (or at least I presume you would).

You'll need to be using the same Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password for Mac originally. When you sign into the Mac App Store on your new Mac, use that Apple ID. Then check the Purchased tab, and you should see your previous purchases. Locate 1Password there, and click Install. This should give you access to the fully-paid version you bought in the past. Please note that it will not cover you for the current version, 1Password 7 for Mac. If you'd like to join us on the current 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll need either a 1password.com membership or if you want a standalone license, you'll need to download directly from our downloads page and use the in-app purchase option.

Whichever you choose, to transfer your data, you'll need to switch your sync source from your old Mac to the new one. Fortunately, it's relatively easy to do this. On iOS, visit Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service and tap "Disable sync." This will disable sync on all vaults, since WLAN is only available on secondary vaults if you're also syncing the Primary vault that way. On your (new) Mac, open Preferences > WLAN Server and follow these instructions to get yourself back up and running. Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• thegooddr
    thegooddr
    Community Member

Lars... Thanks so very much for the detailed and thorough reply. I checked again and my 1Password version is 6.8.8. I believe I did purchase it from the App Store (many years ago). I'm a bit confused. You say that I can check the Purchased tab to install my current version; yet, in the next sentence you say if I want the stand-alone license I need to download from 'our downloads page' and use the in-app purchase option. I'm happy with what I have - so, can I simply check the Purchased tab to install my current version on my new iMac, and have everything transfer? Then, follow your instructions on syncing with WLAN? Do you have a better recommendation on syncing? Thanks again. I really appreciate this. Mark

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thegooddr - sorry for the confusion. What I said was that the "use the purchased tab" method will restore your existing purchase of version 6, but that it would not allow you to download or use 1Password 7 for Mac, which is now the current version. If you're not interested in upgrading to the current version just now, then the "purchased tab" version will certainly work. If you want 1Password 7 for Mac, you will need to either purchase a license from us (as we no longer offer standalone licensing via the Mac App Store as of version 7) OR (and yes, this would be my recommendation on a better way to use 1Password), you can sign up for a 1password.com membership. There's a 30-day free trial if you'd like to do that -- but it's up to you. If you're not ready for or interested in version 7 yet, you can certainly use the Purchased tab to install version 6 and set up WLAN sync.

This discussion has been closed.