1Password Mini is no longer a menu? Argh!

NomadUK
NomadUK
Community Member

Just upgraded to 7.1.1 and find that when I click in the Mini menu item, a window opens up instead of the old version 6 drop-down menu. I'm finding this really unfortunate. It means that I need to move the cursor to the middle of my screen and perform extra clicks and scrolls to get to where I want, and a click to dismiss the window instead of simply letting up on the mouse button. From a UI standpoint, this is really awful.

I don't suppose there's any chance of going back to the old interface, which worked just fine.

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password Mini is no longer a menu? Argh!

Comments

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

And, yes, I've found I can move the Mini window so that it sits under the menu bar item, which is sort of okay (provided the menu item always winds up in the same place after a reboot, which is not guaranteed), but, of course, this leaves the problem of the extension buttons in the browser toolbars, which often reside completely on the other side of my screen from where the Mini window now pops up, totally obviating the usefulness of the buttons. Seriously, this is broken on numerous levels.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NomadUK - thanks for your feedback. There have been a number of changes in 1Password 7 for Mac, and this is definitely one of them. Feedback on the new mini has been generally positive, given that a long-standing feature request has been to be able to do more in the mini without having to open the main app. The reason the mini is no longer pinned to your menubar is because it will soon be able to work within other applications besides just your browser(s). That's not "broken" in the sense that it's by design and unlikely to change. In most browsers (certainly in Safari), you can move extensions around by command-clicking it, to move it to where you'd like it on the menubar. For faster navigation, using the keyboard shortcuts plus navigating via keyboard arrows has always been the fastest way to navigate 1Password mini.

It's highly unlikely we'll "go back to the old interface," but I'll pass along your thoughts and I hope some of the suggestions I've given can help you to navigate the new mini more quickly and without wasted time/effort. Thanks! :)

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

Okay. I suppose I'll get used to it; it will just mean adapting my workflow to work around things (e.g., I don't generally care for yet more keyboard shortcuts), and it won't be as simple, clean, and easy to use for me as it once was. But that's life.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NomadUK - I'm sorry this has set you back, though I'm hopeful much of it may simply require a bit of an adjustment. Let us know if you have any further thoughts/suggestions. :)

• jrab
    jrab
    Community Member

I just upgraded to 7 as well, and there are other adjustments - like the old mini version was able to stay open, so I could go back and forth between the mini window and the app I'm filling in.

It's super annoying to copy a username, paste into other app, re-open mini, copy a field, paste into other app, reopen mini, repeat.... talk about wasted effort! The old version was nice and simple that way.

Did I miss something? Couldn't this be a preference? Keyboard shortcuts are great - if you have the brainspace. I can't even get my mom to remember control-c.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just upgraded to 7 as well, and there are other adjustments - like the old mini version was able to stay open, so I could go back and forth between the mini window and the app I'm filling in.

@jrab: That's not the case. But as with the old 1Password mini, the new one allows you to open items in a separate window (called "anchoring" previously), and there's now a handy keyboard shortcut for that: ⌘ O. Give it a try!

It's super annoying to copy a username, paste into other app, re-open mini, copy a field, paste into other app, reopen mini, repeat.... talk about wasted effort! The old version was nice and simple that way.

As far as what you're describing there, 1Password 7 works the same was 1Password 6 did, with one exception: 1Password 7 will "remember" the current state of 1Password mini for a short time. So when you search or view an item there, even if you dismiss 1Password mini for a few seconds, opening it again will let you pick up right where you left off!

Did I miss something? Couldn't this be a preference? Keyboard shortcuts are great - if you have the brainspace. I can't even get my mom to remember control-c.

I do think you missed something. Definitely check out what I mentioned above. It sounds like both options — new in 1Password 7 — will help your workflow. :)

• jrab
    jrab
    Community Member

Yay! Thanks for the tip! Exactly what I was looking for. That's right - I didn't remember the term - anchoring. The fact that the window came back is useful - I thought that was the new 'feature' to replace anchoring. Glad to see we can still anchor though. All good!

But how was I supposed to know that keyboard shortcut? When you open mini, there is no menu or option when you open it. Even option-clicking on the mini icon, or the item you want to anchor, to give a menu item that shows the hotkey (or a menu item!). The old version had the menu item as an option to anchor when you opened it. Looking in the main 1password, the term is "Open" not Anchor (ok, I get the shortcut letter now). But that doesn't help mini. I like it, but there has to be a more user friendly way to know what to do (think of your grandma trying to use it or remember the hotkey - if she can remember it). Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yay! Thanks for the tip! Exactly what I was looking for. That's right - I didn't remember the term - anchoring. The fact that the window came back is useful - I thought that was the new 'feature' to replace anchoring. Glad to see we can still anchor though. All good!

@jrab: Awesome! Yeah, I definitely use both extensively. Glad that helps you too! :chuffed:

But how was I supposed to know that keyboard shortcut? When you open mini, there is no menu or option when you open it. Even option-clicking on the mini icon, or the item you want to anchor, to give a menu item that shows the hotkey (or a menu item!). The old version had the menu item as an option to anchor when you opened it. Looking in the main 1password, the term is "Open" not Anchor (ok, I get the shortcut letter now). But that doesn't help mini. I like it, but there has to be a more user friendly way to know what to do (think of your grandma trying to use it or remember the hotkey - if she can remember it). Thanks!

1Password 6 didn't have a menu option at all for "anchoring"; it was literally just an icon that looked like an anchor, no shortcut or anything. There was no way to use it without clicking that button, and a lot of folks found it unintuitive. 1Password 7, on the other hand, has a "window" button to represent this now, and "Open in separate window" is a menu item, under the Item menu. We can't show that with 1Password mini, but you'll see it when the main 1Password window is open...and you'll find the feature is available both there and in mini now. Grandma or anyone else can either press ⌘ O or click the icon to use the feature either way. Cheers! :)

• jrab
    jrab
    Community Member

ok - missed that one too - you are right, of course, I've been using 1password since '14 and ALWAYS used the anchor so it was second nature. Could have sworn there was a dropdown... ;)
    Now I know about the window icon, it's just re-learning the placement and icon change... suggestion - can you add the hotkey strokes to the tooltips text? "Open in Separate Window ⌘O", etc...
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@jrab: Way ahead of you! ;) :+1:

Enjoy your weekend — and 1Password 7! :chuffed:

Edit: Duh. I misread. I think we want to keep tooltips "clean", as is the standard on macOS, but I'll pass on your suggestion to the team.

• caBenR
    caBenR
    Community Member

I've been using, and hating, the new mini for many many months. The loss of anchor is probably my greatest issue.

On the one hand, I'm delighted to finally find a solution by reading this thread! This will reduce some stress.

On the other, I really don't understand how you could have concluded that replacing a button with a hidden menu item was supposed to be intuitive. And it's still more clicks: 1 to open the 'mini', 1 (perhaps) to open the category, 1 to open the item, one to open it in a separate window. In 1P6, it was 1 to open the menu, then slide through the categories to the item and 1 click on the anchor.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@caBenR: I'm not sure you read the discussion. "Open in separate window" is not hidden:

⌘ O works too. That's zero clicks or slides. :)

• caBenR
    caBenR
    Community Member

Hi @brenty. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did read the discussion.

By "hidden menu item" I mean the command-O short cut - in 1P 'mini', there is AFAIK no menu, so the fact that command-O works is entirely secret knowledge.

The icon (same as the 'share screen' icon in Skype) is indeed visible and not hidden. But I never spotted it until I read this thread, whereas I discovered the large and interesting anchor button all by myself.

To your last point, command-O is not 'zero clicks or slides'. I wrote:

In 1P6, it was 1 to open the menu, then slide through the categories to the item and 1 click on the anchor.

[in 1P7] 1 click to open the 'mini', 1 (perhaps) to open the category, 1 to open the item, one to open it in a separate window.

command-O just replaces the last mouse click with a two-key chord on the keyboard. If anything that's worse.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. I guess if you're doing a bunch of navigating anyway a keyboard shortcut won't do that for you. But when you're viewing an item already (which tends to be the case for me when I decide I want to open it in a separate window, either in 1Password mini or the main window) ⌘ O does seem to be pretty quick, since it can be done one-handed on most (if not all) Macs. Perhaps we'll find a better way in the future, but 1Password does need to know which item such a shortcut should apply to, so that does mean having it selected first at this time.

This discussion has been closed.