Trouble updating my wife's Macbook

ScottF
ScottF
Community Member

I’m having trouble updating 1PW on my wife’s MacBook. It gives me the following error message:

"1Password 7" cannot be open during installation.

Click Continue to quit "1 Password 7" and begin the update. The application will open when the update is complete.

The problem is that 1PW has not been open while trying to update. I’ve followed the directions, reopened 1PW and then closed it. I still get that error message.

I then tried opening 1PW and force quitting it. I get the same message when I try to run the update.

I recently installed the app on my wife’s device when I switched to the family subscription. Everything on her version is syncing and working as it should.

Any ideas why I can’t run the update?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: the one before 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ScottF - sorry for the trouble!

The problem is that 1PW has not been open while trying to update.

Are you sure? Did you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)? You can verify whether 1Password (or any) processes are still running by opening Activity Monitor inside your Utilities folder (which is inside your Applications folder). Type 1pass into the search bar there, and quit any running processes you see (if the above quit procedure didn't do it for you); then try again. Let us know how that goes for you.

• ScottF
    ScottF
    Community Member

Thanks Lars! That worked. I've used 1Password for years and never had an issue like this before. I didn't close out her app any differently than I normally do mine. At any rate, problem solved. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ScottF - glad to hear that worked for you! There have been changes made to both 1Password and to macOS recently, so you'll need to make sure to quit 1Password completely using the method I gave you, before the app will update. We hope to have this addressed in an upcoming release, but for the next few updates, make sure you do it that way if you run into similar difficulties. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.