Printing a Secure Note should include text styling

chrisrosa
chrisrosa
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

I went to print a Secure Note (to a password protected PDF) via the share button in 1Password, and was surprised to see the output was in the raw markdown format rather than styled. I think if you're printing (which is admittedly rare), you'd want the styled output.

I'd like to submit this as a feature request. Thanks

1Password Version: 7.1.1 (70101001)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:print

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback, @chrisrosa. I’m not aware of any plans to improve the printing capabilities of 1Password but I will share the request with the team. :+1:

Ben

• chrisrosa
    chrisrosa
    Community Member

Much appreciated @Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• oldnparanoid
    oldnparanoid
    Community Member

Hi, I logged in to post this same feature request, did a search, and found this on page 2. Glad I looked.
    Mine is almost exactly the same use case as the OP.
    Please do this; the markdown source is not particularly useful in a saved .pdf..

I'd like to add a clarification to this request regarding the timestamps.
    Currently, the Created and Last Modified dates are printed at the end of the file of markdown source. Very useful and wanted, especially the latter. Please include that in the formatted output of print.
    My current clumsy workaround is to copy the formatted note from 1Password to the clipboard, paste it into TextEdit, and print from there. But the timestamps can't be included in that copy, requiring another manual and error-prone step.

Thanks for listening.

BTW, I need some guidance on forum usage. I see the OP has some standardized version info appended. Interesting, his brief thank-you post does not. I see nowhere on this page for me to enter that. How does that get included? FWIW, I'm 1PW 7.1.2, MacOS 10.13.6, Extension 4.7.3.90 (Firefox), sync is WiFi to phone only.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@oldnparanoid To fill the info (that should be) shown below a support question, you would need to start a new "Discussion" instead of adding a "Comment" to an old Discussion. hth

• chrisrosa
    chrisrosa
    Community Member

test = text. Can't believe I didn't notice that typo until now.

• barrettjl
    barrettjl
    Community Member

I would like to add my vote for printing markdown formatting for Secure Notes. I have been moving all of our emergency information into Secure Notes since upgrading to 1Password 7, and was very disappointed to discover the formatting was lost when the note was printed, printing the markdown mark up instead.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@oldparanoid - I'm not sure what you mean; a pdf would have to be saved as a Document item, not entered as a Secure Note...unless you're literally copy/pasting the text of a pdf into a new Secure Note...in which case it's not really a pdf at all any longer. We are indeed looking into making Markdown formatting a user-selectable item, but I've nothing to announce on that score just yet.

Regarding the forum itself, anyone is free to chime into any conversation, but only the OP gets the pre-formatted questions, since it's generally assumed that the OP is the one who's experiencing the problem/issue with 1Password. They're the ones asking for help, at any rate. Generally, if you read an OP's setup, including macOS version, 1Password version, browser version, extension version and your setup is not identical, it's worth considering that you may not be experiencing the exact same problem. If you still think you are, then it's fine to leave such info in your post, just as you did.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@barrettjl - as Ben mentioned, we don't currently have any plans to change that, but I'll mention your wishes to our developers.

• oldnparanoid
    oldnparanoid
    Community Member

@Lars: I thought the OP laid out the use case pretty well, but since you seem confused:

I have some high-value information that gets changed from time to time. It's complicated enough to benefit from formatting, so markdown is of value. I maintain that as a secure note in 1Password.

Periodically, I export that (Mac "print > save as pdf") as a .pdf file, under encryption, and put it in escrow with an agent who does not have the password. Under defined circumstances, the escrow agent will give the encrypted pdf to designated parties who have previously been given the password. Neither the agent nor the designated party use or have knowledge of 1Password.

I would like the .pdf that the designated party ends up with to be formatted, not markdown source. And I'd like it timestamped.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@oldparanoid - thanks for the clarification. In that case my "we are looking into..." comment is the relevant one. :) Thanks for sharing your wishes.

This discussion has been closed.