Missing Primary Vault

JPMcGTX
JPMcGTX
Community Member

I shot myself in the foot. I have been using iCloud to sync, but I just realized that only syncs the Primary Vault. I deleted the Primary on my iPhone and my iMac with plans to use only Personal since it had the most login entries. Now it is only on my iPad. How do I restore the Primary? Can I just uninstall and reinstall 1Password and sync Primary from iCloud?

Then, is there a way to merge Personal into Primary? If not is there a way to compare Personal with Primary or will it have to be a manual process?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 7.4.3.90
OS Version: OSX ``0.`3.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JPMcGTX - I'm sorry to hear that! :( If you have a vault called "Personal," then (unless you named it that yourself) it sounds as if you also have a 1password.com account. If so, the first question to answer is: do you want to continue along with your 1password.com account? Or do you want a standalone setup with local data, using a manual, advanced sync method like iCloud or Dropbox?

"Primary" is a local, standalone vault.
    "Personal" sounds as if it is part of a 1password.com account. You can verify this in 1Password 7 for Mac by opening Preferences > Vaults and seeing which vaults are there and where they reside (locally or in a 1password.com account). In 1Password for iOS, it would be in Settings > Vaults.

Let me know whether you'd like to continue with your 1password.com account or with a standalone setup. I do not recommend you continue using both unless you're very clear how to go about keeping all devices in sync.

• JPMcGTX
    JPMcGTX
    Community Member

On my iMac i under accounts, it say I am Subscribed. I have two vaults: Personal and Shared. That is my problem. I have no Primary on my iMac or iPhone. I do have it on my

• JPMcGTX
    JPMcGTX
    Community Member

IPad. How to I add it to the iMac and iPhone?

Is there a way to merge Personal into Primary?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JPMcGTX - if you've got a 1password.com account, then there's no reason to have a local/standalone Primary vault, for exactly the reason you're seeing here: you have to maintain it (and sync it) manually, it can be deleted in one place but not another, etc. With a 1password.com account, you sign in once, and all your data (and vaults) are immediately available to you. I would recommend you use these instructions to move your data from Primary into Personal (and/or Shared, depending on your Preferences) on your iPad. Once that's done, you will not need to worry about re-adding Primary to anywhere else, and on both your iPad and iPhone, you can go to Settings > Vaults, select your Primary vault and remove it, leaving you running your 1password.com vaults only there as well, with all your data.

• JPMcGTX
    JPMcGTX
    Community Member

Ah Ha! Now I remember. Now all I have to do is go through 800 items in Primary and be sure they match in Personal or move them the Personal

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JPMcGTX - Right. :) It may help you to do this if you set the sort order (at the top of the column of listed items) to "Date Modified", which should tell you which items were modified recently. Then you can concentrate on those, knowing that older ones are likely identical between the two data sets.

Once you've got everything moved over into your 1password.com account vaults, things become much easier from that point forward. Let us know if you run into any other issues. Cheers!

• JPMcGTX
    JPMcGTX
    Community Member

Thanks. I’ll try that. I’m halfway through the alphabet on a manual comparison. Tedious.

• Yep; sorry about that, but probably better than potentially losing data to an automated process.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.