New user, "Sync" icon/tab is missing in preferences

Th4LLis_ell
Th4LLis_ell
Community Member

Hi,

I am new user. I have made an account and installed the apps and extensions in my iPhone, iMac and MacBook Pro. I want to sync my passwords previously saved in iCloud and Keychain. The only guide I found involved a "Sync" tab in preferences that is missing on my 1password app.

What I do? How to I sync them?

(I want to sync them and then change them one by one and use 1password from now and on)

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Th4LLis_ell
    Th4LLis_ell
    Community Member

Hi,

I am new user. I have made an account and installed the apps and extensions in my iPhone, iMac and MacBook Pro. I want to sync my passwords previously saved in iCloud and Keychain. The only guide I found involved a "Sync" tab in preferences that is missing on my 1password app.

(I want to sync them and then change them one by one and use 1password from now and on)

Thanks

• Th4LLis_ell
    Th4LLis_ell
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.1.1
    Extension Version: 4.7.2
    OS Version: 10.13.6
    Sync Type: icloud

• Th4LLis_ell
    Th4LLis_ell
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Th4LLis_ell: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Apple does not allow 3rd parties direct access to iCloud Keychain, so there is no way to "sync" data from there to 1Password or anything else; iCloud Keychain only syncs data with itself, between Apple devices. You may, however be able to use @MrC ’s converter on your Mac to export the data and get it into a format usable by 1Password, so it can be easily imported. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018

@Th4LLis_ell ,

Recent versions of macOS have made pulling data from the iCloud Keychain very difficult.

The macOS keychain is used when you do not have iCloud Keychain syncing enabled, and for some other things. But generally once you've enabled iCloud Keychain, many of your passwords for things like Safari get pushed into the cloud - they are sycn'd locally of course, but their format changes a bit, and you the user then become somewhat limited in what you can do with the data.

The converter suite can help you obtain and convert your macOS Keychain data, but not iCloud Keychain data. It advised that users needed to copy this data into a local macOS keychain; however, macOS no longer allows this (the Copy/Paste fails with unhelpful error codes/messages).

I recently wrote a GetSafariPasswords utility that will export your Safari passwords (local and iCloud) for conversion to a 1Password importable format, and this covers most uses of Keychain data.

Perhaps the combination of these things will help you. Ask if you need help.

This discussion has been closed.