1P for Mac really stubborn

SandyFos
SandyFos
Community Member

I've just switched from a standalone version to the family plan so as to add my husband. My own change-over went perfectly, but I'm having issues with my husband's part of the account. I have set up a vault for him, with a master password. We can access his vault from within Safari and also in the iOS version on his iPhone. However, I'd downloaded the 1P app on his Mac, it refused the master password. After several tries at getting it open, I decided to quit 1P and re-open it. It looks like it quit, but it apparently won't; if I try to trash the app (on the theory that we might have a corrupted download), it says it can't quit, as it's open. Even restarting his Mac gives the same result.

Two days ago I sent in a diagnostics file in hopes of getting some help, but I'm wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions while I await a possible reply from the techs at 1P.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: none yet
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: family plan

Comments

• SandyFos
    SandyFos
    Community Member

Okay, thanks to 1P on Twitter, I now know how to force quit 1P on my husband's Mac. I've also found (some of?) the support files in the Library and trashed those, followed by restarting his computer. I reinstalled the Mac 1P app, and exactly the same thing happens. I double-click the app, put in his password (which works fine in Safari and in iOS), and I'm denied access. I'm stumped and can't think what else to do. Any ideas out there? I'm aging quickly here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SandyFos: Two things: it sounds like you're already aware of this, but in case it helps anyone else, Command Control Option Q will quit 1Password completely. But deleting the app won't delete your data. That would be bad in almost all cases. If you want to setup the app from scratch again, make sure that you have all of your data elsewhere and then follow these steps to reset the app. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• SandyFos
    SandyFos
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Benty. Luckily for my husband, all of his data is in our family plan; therefore, I can access it via Safari. However, resetting the app is simply not possible, since it won't accept his master password -- the same one that works flawlessly in Safari and on his iPhone SE in the iOS app. I've tried resetting the master password, but that gives the same negative result. Resetting the app requires being able to open it, from what I can tell, and that's where the problem lies -- it refuses to accept the master password so that it will open, no matter what that password is.

Just as an additional note, I've used 1P for many years, but my husband has never had an account before; he was finally convinced to try, which is why I've switched to the family plan. I've never experienced such frustration with 1P before, and it's making my husband wonder why he agreed to use it. :(

I'm really hoping you or someone there can help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the reply, Benty. Luckily for my husband, all of his data is in our family plan; therefore, I can access it via Safari. However, resetting the app is simply not possible, since it won't accept his master password -- the same one that works flawlessly in Safari and on his iPhone SE in the iOS app. I've tried resetting the master password, but that gives the same negative result. Resetting the app requires being able to open it, from what I can tell, and that's where the problem lies -- it refuses to accept the master password so that it will open, no matter what that password is.

@SandyFos: Glad to hear that his data is already safely in the account! You don't need to enter (or know) the Master Password to reset the app. Go to the Help menu at the top of the screen when 1Password is open, and select Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.

Just as an additional note, I've used 1P for many years, but my husband has never had an account before; he was finally convinced to try, which is why I've switched to the family plan. I've never experienced such frustration with 1P before, and it's making my husband wonder why he agreed to use it. :( I'm really hoping you or someone there can help.

I hear you. Please give the instructions a try, and I'm sure we can get you back to using 1Password happy in short order. :)

• SandyFos
    SandyFos
    Community Member

I did it! Thanks for the help! His 1P app is now functioning correctly with no loss of data. Whew!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. You are totally welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things setup the way you want. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.