1Password just asked for Admin permissions to "change files" - correct?

uhh
uhh
Community Member

I might have just acted quite dumb: Without giving it much thought I provided admin access when a dialogue popped up, asking for 1Password to change some files. Just did a quick search but couldn't find anything related.

Typically I'd do some research before allowing this, but I was in hurry to get something done... Not exactly looking forward to change almost 500 accounts (or at least the 50 or so sensitive ones), so: Do I have to worry, or was this a legit request?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Had you just updated 1PW? I find I get this dialog with a lot of programs when they update. It is worrying, but I am not sure what extra reassurance can be given.

I will leave it to AgileBits staff to reply (which they will - hope they can do so quickly). I am pretty sure this is legit, but I am just a user.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @uhh! I'm sorry for the confusion/scare! 1Password will indeed sometimes now ask for admin access when it needs to change certain things. If I'm being strictly cautious, I can't say this wasn't a potential harmful/malicious phishing event, because I didn't see the specific pop-up and it's already in the past. We're not aware of any common, widespread phishing scam that specifically targets 1Password users with something designed to look like a 1Password authorization prompt. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, and yes, the best way to be as certain of security as possible would be to change passwords on all 500 of your accounts. I can't make the decision for you whether it's prudent to do that, unfortunately. But @danco is correct that such prompts do exist in 1Password updates.

• uhh
    uhh
    Community Member

Thank you, @Lars - that's helpful!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.