preferences tab does not include "sync"

violin2
violin2
Community Member

I just upgraded to 1P7 on MacBook Pro. In the previous version, I had dropbox backup in the .agilekeychain, so I guess I need to change it. But when I go to "Preferences" I don't see a tab for Sync. I think I need to get this fixed before I can successfully get the iPad and iPhone to work. I can't even see where to fix it.

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Depends on whether you have a subscription or a one-time licence. I would guess you upgraded to a sub.

With a subscription, if you upgraded you will have a Personal vault and also a legacy Primary vault. The Personal vault is your main vault, and that syncs through 1password.com, not Dropbox or iCloud, so there is no sync option in Preferences.

I believe that all your data is copied or moved from the Primary vault into the Personal one, though at the time I upgraded I had to do this myself.

If you are satisfied that all your data is in the Personal vault, it is best to delete the Primary vault by unchecking the Local Vaults option in the Advanced section of Preferences. Otherwise there is likely to be confusion about which vault a login is in. But it is possible to work entirely with the Primary vault, though the only good reason to do so is if you don't want any of your data in the cloud in any form.

• violin2
    violin2
    Community Member

I am on the sub. All the data was copied automatically to the Personal vault. There is no primary vault, and Local Vaults option is unchecked (it was never checked). I was trying to follow the instructions on this page. So that's why I was looking for a Sync tab.

So if the sync is working correctly, my issue is then with the iPad and iPhone6. I got the iPad to log in to 1P7 but it is not synced (changes I made last night are not showing up). And I log in to it with the old password, not the new one I made for 1P7. On iPhone, I can't even get to the login screen for 1Password.

• violin2
    violin2
    Community Member

OK, I think all is working ok now. Should I delete the old Dropbox sync files? I can see the old vaults on Dropbox on the iPad but not on the MacBook or iPhone.

• fbutter
    fbutter
    Community Member

What if I have a subscription and want to keep a dropbox sync'ed vault additionally? Why the hell does the new app prevent me as a user to control, where to put my sensitive data to?

• fbutter
    fbutter
    Community Member

Here: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/
    is described, how to setup sync with dropbox. Except it does not show the Sync settings, when a 1Password account is already setup. This is not consistent, and I don't see any reason for it - if not a strange understanding of marketing.

• @fbutter,

The Sync tab will be coming back in a future version in order to hopefully reduce some of the disconnect between the documentation (which in the case you found assumes that the user has standalone vaults) and your current configuration (which has no standalone vaults), but it will also tell you what @danco has said here in that Sync is handled by the 1Password account so there isn't anything to configure.

This discussion has been closed.