Numbers or symbols as separators in passphrase

harrist4
harrist4
Community Member

I prefer using the "words" option for creating passwords, resulting in something like "anvil-spider-coffee", and most websites then tell me I need to have at least one number, so I end up editing the phrase by hand to "anvil3spider6coffee", but this is tedious (and almost impossible on an iOS device because of the interface).

Please add another option to the separators to use either random digits or random symbols.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harrist4 - you're not the only person requesting such a feature. The problem is that not all websites require the same things; some insist on symbols but not the full complement of symbols; certain things like ? or $ or # or @ can be limited because they are used in URLs. This is an issue we'd like to address comprehensively, and we're working towards that goal (so you know). We want to make sure to do it in a way that's comprehensive and doesn't overly complicate 1Password's user interface. Hope that helps! :)

• harrist4
    harrist4
    Community Member

(Hah! I just found a post I made last year saying this same thing ... It’s painful to edit pwds on my iPad, but that really is my preferrred device I always have at home or work. Please make the editing easier. Pretty please?)

It would be challenging to fix it for everything, but at least to allow including random digits or a user provided whitelist (just a text field) would greatly improve usability of the pass phrase tool.
    Try editing a password generated on your iPad and see the pain! The obscured edit field with an accompanying read only plaintext field is all but impossible to use for editing out one specific character.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harrist4 - thanks for the suggestions, and for taking the time to share them with us.

This discussion has been closed.