i need to lock the logins section from the browser extension

Jarrod
Jarrod
Community Member

Hi Team,

I use a mac at home that the entire family uses, i would like to have the browser extension logged in so auto fill works however i do not want anyone getting to the logins page. If someone can access the logins section they can also then reveal the password for that site. Is there any way of achieving this lock?

Thanks

Jarrod Brown

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:locking the logins page ? from the browser extension

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Jarrod! I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Are you saying you've got a Mac at home where multiple users are using it all from the same user account on the Mac?

When you say that you "don't want anyone getting to the logins page," can you clarify that for me? What logins page? Do you mean you don't want anyone to be able to see/read your 1Password data within 1Password for Mac? Or something else?

• Jarrod
    Jarrod
    Community Member

That is correct everyone uses the same mac login and if they go to the 1password extension icon they can then go to logins within the 1password menu select a saved url and access the password. I would like to stop this happening, however i need auto fill to work without having to login to the 1password extension every time and if i have the extension logged out i can not achieve this.
    Thanks

Jarrod Brown

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Jarrod - thanks for the clarification. Your Mac has the ability to create multiple user accounts in System Preferences > Users & Groups. I would strongly recommend you create an account for each person on your Mac; it helps keep people's data separate -- not because you want to "hide" things from each other, but you can each use your own email programs and not worry about other people's email in them, have your own preferences, browser history, etc. It's not only safer, it's a much better individual experience. And, in a few cases like the one you just mentioned, it's also a (potential) security issue. If you have younger children, you can keep a "common" (shared) account - maybe with a very simple password - for those users to share amongst them like you do now. But adults and older children could really benefit from separated user accounts. Regardless of your choice in this matter, however, 1Password is set up to function for individuals: there's no mechanism for someone to share a Mac user account with multiple people AND allow them access to 1Password without also letting them see whatever is contained in 1Password. You cannot both share and NOT share something.

This discussion has been closed.