To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't find my Master Password and Security Key - Purchased back in 2014

Options
MaxL
MaxL
Community Member

Just switched to a new Mac and can't find my Master Password and Security Key to login on the new device.

I've followed the steps to unlock it but haven't been able to get very far.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MaxL: If you purchased 1Password in 2014, you don't have any of those things — a Secret Key, sign in address, or any kind of account. You will only have that if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s also the only way you’ll be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Your license email will include what you need to register the app though.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• bchapman35
    bchapman35
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I guess I am a little confused. I have been a member for some time and I just decided to reset all my data and start from scratch. However, I do not have edit access on my desktop. Is there a difference between the membership and license? Not really sure what to do. Thanks.

• bchapman35
    bchapman35
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi, I've been a member for a little over a year now and I've decided to start from scratch. However, when I attempt to edit/set up my account it's asking for my Secret Key. I guess I am a little confused as how to obtain this? When I log into the 1password IOS app and click on settings I do not see my account. It just provides me with the option to "add existing" account and "try for free". I am already a member so I am really confused as to why it's prompting me with these options. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Note: #KUF-11957-457

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• bchapman35
    bchapman35
    Community Member
    Options

I started a new thread in the discussion forum - please disregard my previous post. Thanks.

• Hi @bchapman35

If you do indeed have a 1Password membership you would have a Secret Key. Please see this guide for some tips on how you might find that:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

Thanks.

Ben

• bchapman35
    bchapman35
    Community Member
    Options

Just so I understand I pay a monthly fee for a membership. Is this separate from a license? I have looked at the FAQ and guides, would really appreciate if there is a way you could verify my membership so I can proceed with my setup.

• We’re unable to provide any details about anyone’s membership via this public forum but I’ll reply to the email that you sent. Thanks.

Ben

• bchapman35
    bchapman35
    Community Member
    Options

Appreciate it.

Blake,

• No problem. Let’s continue via email. Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.