Can I add a custom field to new login records?

komrad
komrad
Community Member

When I create accounts at different sites, they don't always use the email address for the login name. Often the login name is separate from email, but the email address is still used for password recovery and communications.

I ran into a problem where I change not 1 but 3 of the email addresses I use for different reasons ( personal, business,junk , for example ) , and I needed to track down which logins used each of the old addresses so that I could update the account to use the new email address.

I think that you can see where this is going 1000 logins with different email addresses used for registration, with the chance that the registration email address used is not associated with the login in 1Password.

I should have thought of this sooner and documented the registration email with each login, but I didn't. So I get to pay stupid tax now.

To make this easier, I'm looking for

• A way to add a "registration email" field to each of my existing login records
  • A way to have the field exist on all new records by default.
  • The ability to search on the new field so I can identity which records use which addresses, and which don't have the field filled in.

A work around might be to use tags for this purpose, which each email address being a tag on the associated record. I haven't tried advanced searches with tags, but it might work.

It would be nice to have the ability to add a custom field to each record as a batch operation, and have the customer field exist on new records,

If this feature isn't on the roadmap, where can I suggest it?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Web

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@komrad - sorry for the trouble -- but I'm definitely going to have to file "stupid tax" away for future use. Not here in the forum, but in my own life. :)

Tags are likely to be your best friend for this. You can also add custom fields to any record, and change the type of field to be several things, from password to TOTP to calendar date, etc. I don't know how likely it is that we'll be adding the ability to add custom fields to the "privileged" section of each record type, as these are literally what defines the record, and have to be consistent from platform to platform (including the web app for 1password.com accounts). Editing the fields there can have...unexpected results, depending on what specifically is done. I'll definitely pass along your ideas and wishes, though.

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

ok. I’ll try tags and a custom email field and see what works best. maybe I’ll is both. it’s easy to copy and paste the email address from a field , but searching / filtering probably (only?) works better with tags.

I don’t think that is a do a search where email = “”

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@komrad - let us know what your experience with it is like. :)

This discussion has been closed.