Syncing 1Password 6 between Mac and iPhone not working

charlbury
charlbury
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

At some point, the dropbox syncing between my Mac (v6.8.8) and my iPhone (v7.1.1) must have stopped as now, when I update something on one device, it does not update on the other. This might be due to an unexpected and avoided upgrade to 1Password 7

On my mac in 1password under the Preferences->Sync setting it is set to sync Primary vault with Dropbox and points to my dropbox folder 1Password>1password7>1password.opvault and it was synced 1 minute ago.

I notice this folder is 1password7!!!!! At one point 1password updated itself to 7. I haven't paid to upgrade and didn't want this to happen but there it was. I am going to upgrade, but, I want all my passwords synced in one place first.

On my iPhone undersSettongs->Sync->Primary->Dropbox the Sync Service is set to Dropbox but I can't see the name of the file or folder it is syncing with. There doesn't seem to be the option to do that.

In dropbox, I notice I have two 1password folders. Perhaps I always have I don't know. I have:

1Password->1Password.agilekeychain
1Password->1password7

What can I do to get these two versions of my passwords in sync again, and to have them sync ongoing?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@charlbury - sorry for the trouble, but thank you for the very clear description of the problem (with screenshots!). It made this very easy to diagnose. What's happened here is that in 1Password 7 for Mac, we formally retired the Agile Keychain format of sync keychain. If you're using Dropbox, your sync keychain is either an Agile Keychain (older) or its replacement, OPVault. But because you had the older Agile Keychain, when you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, it converted this to the newer format for you, because version 7 can't and doesn't use Agile Keychain.

The bad news is that the instant that happened, you began having two parallel sync tracks: your phone, syncing to the older Agile Keychain, and your Mac, which had been switched over to this newer OPVault format. The good news is that you haven't lost any data, you'll just need to be a bit careful putting the pieces together again. Here's the best way to do it:

(preface: since OPVault is the recommended sync keychain format, we're going to take that as "canonical" and wind up switching your phone to use that keychain)

• In 1Password for Mac, go to Preferences > Backup and click "Backup Now" (or just File > Backup from the menubar).
    • In 1Password for iOS, open Settings > Advanced, scroll down, and tap "Create Backup." These two steps will give us something current to revert to if something goes horribly wrong (don't worry: it won't. Just being cautious).
    • In 1Password for iOS, click "Disable Sync" in the screenshot above that you provided. This will uncouple what's on your phone from the older Agile Keychain in Dropbox.
    • Wait a few seconds, then set it to sync once more with Dropbox. You'll be asked which sync keychain to use (or if you want to create a new one). Navigate to the OPVault that your Mac is using (refer to the file path in Preferences > Sync on your Mac, if you can't find it.

You may get asked to merge these records; if so, go ahead and accept this, and see what happens. You may find it easier to do the rest of this on your Mac than your iPhone. Set the view to All Vaults and All items, and set the Sort Order (at the top of the list of items) to Date Modified. When you do that, you should see which items have been modified recently; check these and make sure they're correct -- and also search for any duplicated items. You may need to manually merge (copy/paste) some of these, but hopefully this will not be the case. Let me know how that goes! :)

• charlbury
    charlbury
    Community Member

Lars, I think that worked. I should have noted the number of records on each device before choosing the new OPVault and syncing. I think on my iphone it was 810 and went up to 930, but, I have a sneaky suspicion that on my mac it was like 1030 and has gone down to 930. I can't say for sure and for the life of me I can't remember the last passwords I have added over the last few weeks. Is there any way to se which records were entered on the phone and which were entered on the desktop app?

All in all, I think it went well and I now have syncing devices again. I'm pretty sure that everything is there too.

I really appreciate your detailed reply Lars. It gave me much more confidence to change vaults and get the sync back on track.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@charlbury - glad I was able to help!

Is there any way to se which records were entered on the phone and which were entered on the desktop app?

If you've already done the merge, probably not. If you absolutely must know this information, then I'd restore from the backups I had you make in my previous reply, on both devices, then you can do the sort-by-date-modified bit on the Mac, and screen-capture or even write down the ones that have changed. On the iPhone, there's no option to sort by date modified, so you'd have to then re-do the merge, but you'd be able to know which came from which device by process of elimination. If it were me, that wouldn't be worth the effort, but you could do it, if you need to.

• charlbury
    charlbury
    Community Member

Thanks again Lars. No, not worth the effort but thank you very much for taking the time to think of the option and detail it for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.