Cannot find safari extension.

dtintle
dtintle
Community Member

In Safari, I click on dropdown menu for Safari Extensions. That sends me to Apple where I click on 1Password. In the next page I click on AgilBits where it want to install 1Password. I do not need 1Password. I need 1PW extension. This also happens for Chrome but I did manage to get 1Password X installed. I simply want the extension and do not need to install 1PW.

1Password Version: 7.0.7 (70007000)
Extension Version: no clue
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How to install extension for Safari

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dtintle - if you already have 1Password installed (which it seems like you might, based on your post, though you didn't say directly), you should be able to get the 1Password extension in any browser by visiting https://1pw.ca/browser -- this will detect the browser you're using and offer you the correct extension to go along with 1Password for Mac.

1Password X only works with 1password.com accounts, and I notice you said you're using iCloud as your sync type. If that's the case, 1Password X will not (CAN not) work for you. Can you clarify that for me? Thanks.

• dtintle
    dtintle
    Community Member

Thank you. I clicked on link and I have the Safari extension installed (which is what I thought). When I click on a website within 1PW, it no longer loads the website and fill the logon fields. I thought the problem was bc of the extension but I guessed wrong. So, the issues I presently have: 1) Why does 1PW no longer load websites and UN and PW automatically? 2) How do I determine how my family Vault is shared (Dropbox or iCloud - the sync type). I watched a YouTube video and read 3 other search results but to no avail, so any help would be appreciated. [An aside: I don't know why 1PW ceased to function as it usually did. There have been no updates to my MacBook Pro OS for over 30 days (I checked prior update history), and I do not recall any 1PW updates coming thru either. 1PW has worked flawlessly for years now so I just don't get it.]

Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dtintle

Why does 1PW no longer load websites and UN and PW automatically?

Can't be 100% certain, but my first bet would be that you have either your browser or 1Password 7 for Mac or both installed in a location OTHER than your Applications folder. For the first time ever, 1Password 7 for Mac is a fully-sandboxed app, which brings benefits in integration with macOS and security, but it also means it's much pickier about what it can interact with and where it can be run from. Both the browser and 1Password 7 for Mac must be in your main Applications folder (not ~/Applications or anywhere else), or it won't fill your data.

How do I determine how my family Vault is shared (Dropbox or iCloud - the sync type).

If you have a 1password.com membership, then it's shared via 1password.com, not any third-party sync service like Dropbox or iCloud. That's one of the benefits of a 1password.com membership. If you don't have a 1password.com account/membership, then your sync method will be whatever you chose in Preferences > Sync.

Hope that helps. :)

• dtintle
    dtintle
    Community Member

Thank you.

I do have a membership and when I go online it does show my Vault indicating I have 200+ entries.

I checked to see if 1PW7 and Safari are in the same Applications folder and they are. I'm determining this by clicking on my main disk drive icon, and in the next window, the left hand box has suggested folders, one of which is Applications. I click there and get a listing of it's contents and 1PW7 and Safari both appear in the list.

I have found out that the actual issue is this: If Safari is completely closed (i.e. quit) and I bring up 1PW7, click on a website in my vault, everything works as expected (website opens and UN & PW are filled). However, if Safari has been previously opened (but I am not in any window; it is in standby(?) mode and a dot (.) appears under the icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen) and I open 1PW7, click on a website in my vault, nothing happens -- nothing gets opened and no UN & PW are loaded. If I manually open Safari then use the mini icon in the bar at the top of the Safari window, choose what account I want to open in 1PW7 and click it, then a new window is opened and the UN & PW fields are filled. That is the issue.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure what you mean by "if Safari has been previously opened (but I am not in any window; it is in standby(?) mode and a dot (.) appears under the icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen)" -- can you perhaps post a video or screenshot of what you're referring to? Or maybe a description of what you'd like to be able to do but currently can't? Thanks.

• dtintle
    dtintle
    Community Member

I have attached 2 small screen shots showing the Safari icon (a compass) in the menu bar. If I try to open a website from within 1PW and the Safari icon has a black dot below it (the screen shot with the manually drawn arrow), the website will not open. If I "quit" out of Safari, and the black dot is no longer visible, 1PW works as it should -- the website is opened in Safari and the UN and PW are loaded and I get logged on. That's my issue. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dtintle - that's certainly not expected behavior. I'm not entirely clear from just your description exactly what you do (and perhaps don't!) have installed on your Mac, so at this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#GPG-86141-815]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @dtintle only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: GPG-86141-815

• gkrodg00
    gkrodg00
    Community Member

How do I install (re-install) the 1P6 safari extension for MacOS? I tried 1P7 but cannot get the transaction to process for the license so I reverted back to 1P6.

Firefox has the original extension installed. That was no issue.

Tried install browser extensions from 1P6 menu and it directs to 1password.com extension page but option for safari is not there. I presume because apple forces Safari extensions to be installed through the app store. Opening Safari presences, safari extensions, redirects to the apps store...but installing 1P there just re-installs 1P7 full app....I only want the extension for Safari installed.

What am I missing?

Running MacOS 10.13.6

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkrodg00 - I'm sorry for the trouble! We're in a bit of a transition period here (by "we," I mean all of us on Macs, not 1Password per se) in that Mojave and Safari 12 institute new restrictions and requirements (no auto-submit, new type of extension). Mojave comes pre-loaded with Safari 12, but older versions of macOS can (but aren't required to) download it as well. On our end, the problem is that (as you note) while Firefox and Chrome are unaffected, continuing to use the existing 4.7.3.90 extension, in version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac, we switch from the older .safariextz extension to the newer Safari App Extension (SAE) version. This means that as soon as you install 7.2 or higher, you no longer have the proper 1Password extension for any version of Safari lower than 12.

What version of Safari are you using?

• gkrodg00
    gkrodg00
    Community Member

Safari 12.0 (13606.2.11)

• gkrodg00
    gkrodg00
    Community Member

Again, I rolled back to 1P6 for MacOS because the transaction for the standalone license for 1P7 would not process. The desktop 1P6 app works just fine but I cannot get the Safari extension re-installed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkrodg00 - that's what I was afraid of. With version 12 of Safari, Apple has retired the .safariextz-style extensions that were what 1Password (and every other maker of extensions) had been using in Safari 11 and earlier versions, in favor of a new type of extension called Safari App Extensions (SAE). These should provide several benefits, but it means that if you're running Safari 12, you need to be using versions of apps that use Safari App Extension format. Version 7.2 of 1Password does exactly that...but version 6.8.9 (and earlier) do not. That means your choices are to try again with the purchase of version 7 (or let us help you figure out why your first try did not work), or remove Safari 12 and reinstall Safari 11. Or, I suppose, choose a different browser like Firefox or Chrome until such time as you're able to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac.

• gkrodg00
    gkrodg00
    Community Member

Any advice on where I can get a copy of safari 11? Never had to do that before and striking out searching for download location.

Still waiting on someone to reply to the support email from 2 days ago re: the transaction fail. I would just upgrade if I can get the transaction to process for a 1P7 license.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkrodg00 - sorry for the delay in our response; I didn't realize you'd sent in a support email as well. You must have used a different email address than the one you used to register for this forum. We respond to those in the order we receive them, and currently due to the recent release of Mojave, we're experiencing a surge in support requests. You should have received an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in it; if you can post that number here, we'll be better able to "connect the dots" and get you some help.

• gkrodg00
    gkrodg00
    Community Member

I was running Safari 12 and the 1P6 extension was working just fine until my 1P7 experiment. It was only when I attempted to rollback that I had the issue. Thoughts?

• gkrodg00
    gkrodg00
    Community Member

PFG-21373-819

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gkrodg00 - sorry for not following up on this sooner: I see my colleague Laura has assisted you via email; I trust everything's taken care of? If not, let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.