Center 1Password window on screen

daniels
daniels
Community Member

Hi,

I'm using 1Password7 and I have resized the "search window" (the one you get when you press Command + ).

I have resized it as I like to have it a bit bigger then default size but now I can't get it centered. It's always a bit to the left or to the right.
Can you guys add an option/setting so if I enable that then the window will always be centered to the screen when I press Command + \ no matter what size it has? This way I could resize to my liking and not have the OCD in me bothered that it's a bit to the let or to the right and I can't manually get it perfectly centered (both vertically and horizontally).

So what I'm requesting is an option to be able to specify somehow the position where the window will appear upon pressing Command + \

Do you thing you guys can add this?

Thannk you.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@daniels - thanks for writing in. I don't think we'll be adding a preference to set the specific location for 1Password mini to pop up, but as it stands now, it should pop up in the last place you used it -- and with the last dimensions you used, as well. At least, it does on my retina iMac. Is that not what you experience?

• daniels
    daniels
    Community Member

it should pop up in the last place you used it -- and with the last dimensions you used, as well

Yes, it does this. The part with the "last dimensions you used" it's ok as this is what I want.
    The problem is with the "in the last place you used it" as I'm trying to place it in the center and I just can't. Not pixel perfect. Maybe it shouldn't bother me that it's not perfectly centered and it's just few pixels to the right or left but ...
    So the problem is that I can't seem to be able to place it perfectly centered by hand. And having the program do this automatically it would've been perfect.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@daniels - so, I have what MIGHT be a solution for you. Apparently one of our developers was working with this a bit -- recently enough that I wasn't even aware this existed. But if you click nearly anywhere on the mini when it is locked or just underneath the search bar but above the lists, it should "center" it. I put "center" in quotes, though, because I'm not sure you'll like it, given the fact you were talking about dead center both vertically and horizontally. What the aforementioned trick does is center the window according to Apple's definition of center:

The window is placed exactly in the center horizontally and somewhat above center vertically. Such a placement carries a certain visual immediacy and importance. This method doesn’t put the window onscreen, however; use makeKeyAndOrderFront: to do that.

You typically use this method to place a window—most likely an alert dialog—where the user can’t miss it. This method is invoked automatically when a panel is placed on the screen by the runModalForWindow: method of the NSApplication class.

That's going to mean dead center horizontally, but significantly above the median vertically, as you can see. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but this is likely to be as close as you get (other than doing it yourself) to "centered." The only way to do anything but Apple's definition would be to write our own code for that, which would involve taking into account all of the various screen sizes on Macs old and new (not to mention external monitors) as well as calculating that against how large you may have expanded the mini to, etc -- and that's just not something I think we're likely to do, given everything else that's on our plate. If we had an unlimited number of developer hours, it might be...but we don't. Hope this helps! :)

• daniels
    daniels
    Community Member

because I'm not sure you'll like it, given the fact you were talking about dead center both vertically and horizontally.

That's actually perfect. I just tested and it works.
    Thank you.

• @daniels,

That's great to hear, let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.