Password not being saved correctly in 1Password Secure Note

colindarra
colindarra
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I have a few passwords that I use frequently for work, these are all saved together in a single 1Password SECURE NOTE

When I save the SECURE NOTE one of the passwords in particular is not saved correctly. I'll give you an example (not the actual word)

Lets say the password is f3der*tion (federation)
when I enter the password correctly into the SECURE NOTE I can see all the characters correctly, but as soon as I click "SAVE" one character (the ASTERISK ) disappears, and seems to be recorded as f3dertion (without the asterisk). I also note that the FONT changes as soon as I save.

Other notes to do with this issue.
When I open the SECURE NOTE page I cannot see the Asterisk
When I EDIT the SECURE NOTE page, the font of the note changes and I can see the Asterisk
When I hit SAVE on the SECURE NOTE page, the font reverts and I cannot see the Asterisk again.
The SECURE NOTE was created by copying and pasting from a TEXT document.

Any ideas?

Notes"
1 Password is synched across all my devices
this issue does NOT occur when I use my Windows PC
this issue only occurs when I use Apple.

Versions:
MACOS 10.13,6
1Password version 7.1.2

I've answered my own question. The problem is to do with saving it as a text document. If I manually enter the f3der*tion password in a new field it is always present correctly.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@colindarra: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you're just running into this issue because you're inadvertently using Markdown syntax (which 1Password for Mac (and iOS) version 7 supports for formatting) in your Secure Note. The Windows app doesn't have this feature yet, but it's coming. Indeed, I'd suggest saving the password as a custom "password" field in the item instead, as that won't use any formatting and will also make it easy to copy and paste. It sounds like that helped, but we're also looking at ways to allow for opting-in or -out of Markdown in the future. Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

This discussion has been closed.