Items inexplicably found in trash.

baincork
baincork
Community Member

Over 100 items found in trash that I did not put in the trash. How did this happen and how prevent it from happening again?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@baincork ,

Might it be that you transferred items between vaults, such as a local vault to a 1Password.com vault? If so, your items are physically copied and the originals placed into the trash.

• baincork
    baincork
    Community Member

I just checked to make sure I didn't have 2 vaults and I have just a single Vault. I have been looking through the trash trying to determine any commonality to the items in the trash to no avail. Any other thoughts??

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@baincork - I'm sorry for the trouble! 1Password will not make changes to your data unless you direct it to; certainly not trashing over a hundred items! There are a few ways that might have happened; one is (as MrC mentioned) by moving or importing items. Items cannot actually be "moved" in 1Password; they must be copied, then deleted in their original locations so you don't have duplicates. These deleted items show up in 1Password's Trash. Were the items in any kind of obvious order - like alphabetical (everything from C through L, for example), or similar Date Modified time-stamps? I can't think of any obvious reason off the top of my head that don't involve some action on your part, so I don't know how much help I can be. But it may help if you can let us know how many devices you use 1Password on, which platforms, versions of OS and of 1Password on these platforms, and your sync method.

• baincork
    baincork
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. We have 6 devices. Two MacBooks version 10.13.6; two IPhones 6S version OS 11 ( just updated today to 12); two IPads- one iPad Pro 10.5 and the other Mini 4 both version OS 11 but updated today to 12.

The trash items are indeed alphabetical but not ordered in Date Modified.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@baincork: You can click at the top to sort them differently. If it says "X items sorted by Title" you could select "Date Modified", etc. depending on what you want. If you're syncing data, items deleted on one device will show up in the Trash on others. the iOS app doesn't have a viewable "Trash", but items deleted there end up in the trash nevertheless and would be shown in the Trash in the Mac app. Also, ⌘ Delete is the keyboard shortcut to send to Trash in 1Password for Mac, so if you'd thought you had Finder focused and pressed that to delete a file when 1Password was the active app, you'd be sending the selected item in 1Password to the Trash.

• baincork
    baincork
    Community Member

Thanks - that helped.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.