iOS 12 and the new Password API

Options
13»

Comments

• @invictus26

I just tested this, following the steps you posted, and it saved the login as expected. Are you able to reproduce the problem?

Ben

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! I figured it out. It was saving to the Primary vault, which I don't sync and isn't included in "All Vaults" so I couldn't find it! I switched the "save to" vault and now it's working 👍

• We generally recommend removing the Primary vault if using a 1Password membership to avoid confusion like that. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    Options

I just launched 1Password after upgrading to iOS12 and was presented with the "you should turn on autofill". I did and I was amazed. I have been wanting this level of integration since I started using 1password years ago. Fantastic. This makes using 1password on iOS just as great an experience as using it on Mac OS. Great work guys!

• Freez_Frame
    Freez_Frame
    Community Member
    Options

I am loving the new autofill feature and integration in iOS 12. However I have a use case question. I am a heavy user of an iPad with an apple smart keyboard. When I am using the external keyboard in Safari it does not show the autofill info so I have to resort to the old method of going through the “share” menu to activate the 1Password extension. When I don’t use the external keyboard then it behaves as illustrated in all the documentation.

I suspect this is an iOS 12 limitation, but is there a workaround or some sort of keyboard shortcut I can enable to allow me to use the autofill feature? Thanks and great work.

• Freez_Frame
    Freez_Frame
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind I figured it out. I had previously disabled “Shortcuts” under General -> Keyboard and once I enabled it then the autofill options now show up even while using my smart keyboard. Working perfectly now.

• Thanks for the update @Freez_Frame :)

Ben

• Daviedavo
    Daviedavo
    Community Member
    Options

I have noticed that the Password Autofill doesn’t appear in split keyboard view on an iPad. The full keyboard takes up half of the screen so I always use the split keyboard - not to meantion it is easier to type with thumbs while holding the iPad. Is this an Apple limitation? Or an over site?

• Daviedavo
    Daviedavo
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify my split keyboard comment: I am not saying this is a big issue. I realize I can squeeze the split keyboard back to a full keyboard, use Password Autofill, and split the keyboard again. It just appears there is enough room in the blank area above the keys on a split keyboard to at least place the Password Autofill key button to open the pop up and fill the fields (if this is even allowed by Apple).

And +1 for limiting vaults when using auto fill. I also have a couple hidden vaults with seldom used logins and archive, etc. that gets confusing as it is currently set up to look in all vaults.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

Add my voice to the list requesting the ability to limit which vaults are used for Autofill.

I have a vault for Expired items, and it is set up not to be included in “all vaults.” With the old share sheet method, items in this vault were never suggested. But now Autofill is including this vault.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I tried 1Password v7.2 with IOS 12 and the new Auto Fill. I was asked for my Master Password twice. Auto Fill is still enabled but I have stopped using it for now.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

Me. Too. @Chris100 describes my exact setup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback folks. Something we're considering. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have noticed that the Password Autofill doesn’t appear in split keyboard view on an iPad. The full keyboard takes up half of the screen so I always use the split keyboard - not to meantion it is easier to type with thumbs while holding the iPad. Is this an Apple limitation? Or an over site?

@rlh: Indeed, the split keyboard doesn't have a...suggestion bar (not sure what to call it) at the top the way other layouts do, and that's where Password Autofill lives. Perhaps that will get updated in a future version of iOS.

This discussion has been closed.