iOS Chrome doesn’t autofill login credentials

Options
petebocken
petebocken
Community Member

iOS Chrome does not always auto-populate both the username and password for numerous sites. Sometimes just the password is populated when using the 1P share sheet action. Other times neither will populate. Requiring you to manually copy and paste the individual fields one by one. These same sites work perfectly fine and populate both fields as expected in Safari every time.

Here are some example sites:
https://auth.hulu.com/web/login
https://www.cake.co/login

Searching around the 1P forums and Chrome forums turns up many similar cases. One post said that this is a Google problem, because even though Chrome on iOS is simply using the Safari engine, Google has their own implementation to populate fields from password managers like 1P.

Does Google have to manually allow certain sites or how sites implement logins? What is the final answer on this? Do we need to push Google to simply use the iOS Safari way of populating credentials and not use their own?

If that is the case and this problem is indeed out of the users control and out of 1P’s control, then I feel that Chrome and 1Password are not compatible and 1P should state this very clearly on their site.

This also brings up an interesting question. How does 1P work on Android? Do they also have these similar issues or is this isolated to only iOS Chrome?

Comments

• Hi @petebocken,

Chrome does use their own filling code, whereas in Safari we’re able to use our own. You can see the difference in results by filling these same logins in Mobile Safari and then filling them in Chrome for iOS both using the 1Password extension (as it sounds like you've done).

Chrome does have a forum in which issues can be reported: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome

At this point it seems unlikely that they would implement our filling code (we’d be thrilled if they would), but perhaps they would be willing to consider improvements to their own implementation.

Our Android folks could likely provide a more detailed answer about Android but my understanding is that Android is an entirely different beast. We don't use the same extension there that we use on iOS.

Ben

• isandipan
    isandipan
    Community Member
    Options

I also wanted to fill forms on chrome for ios with the ios extension for 1P. The extension is opening the 1P but it is not filling the form fields on chrome for iPhone. If that is the case and the issue can't be resolved then in total agreement with @petebocken ,
    1P should state this very clearly on their site.

• petebocken
    petebocken
    Community Member
    Options

With today's release of iOS 12 password autofill and the update to 1P iOS app, I definitely am just switching to Safari now. Autofill works in Chrome through the QuickType bar, however it takes an extra tap.

• @isandipan I just tested and was able to fill my Yahoo Mail login using the 1Password extension in Chrome. I was able to confirm that it did not work on Hulu.com. I’m not sure there is anything we can do on our end about particular sites that Chrome doesn’t fill but I will make mention of it to our team. Generally 1Password does work in Chrome, despite some forms not filling using their filling method, so we’re not going to come out and say that we don’t support Chrome. We’d love to have them use our filling, but we can’t make them do that.

I’m glad to hear Password AutoFill has been a boon for you @petebocken. It is pretty nice. :+1:

Ben

• isandipan
    isandipan
    Community Member
    Options

I just have upgraded my iPhone to ios 12. It seems we can now have password autofill configured in the operating system level so that it prompts us to fill using keychain or 1password. And this is working across all browser. Amazing ios12 and 1P integration !!

• Thanks for the update @isandipan. Glad to hear it is working well for you. :+1:

Ben

• petebocken
    petebocken
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

FYI - Oddly enough, now with iOS 12 and 1P 7.2 with AutoFill, Chrome autofills my two test sites (Cake.co and Hulu.com) just fine just like Safari does. It still requires an extra tap since a single 1P site entry does not display in the QuickType bar like Safari does, but it does actually fill both username and password fields.

Using the 1P share sheet option, it does not autofill both username and password like it did before. So maybe the AutoFill implementation appears to be a little friendly for these sites that had issues with Chrome.

• Thanks for letting us know, @petebocken. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.