Is synchronization via iCloud possible?

ulbn
ulbn
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

Is it possible to achieve synchronization between my Mac laptop, iPad and iPhone regarding the 1Password functions? If it is, how is this done? I would prefer to have these three units synchronized with each other without having to use Dropbox...

So far I have installed 1Password on all three units, and my master password works fine on all three - on the iPad and the iPhone with touch identification, on the Mac laptop the usual way to gain access.

Please advise.
/B

1Password Version: 7?
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @ulbn

With a 1Password membership it isn’t necessary to sync via a 3rd party cloud service. 1Password membership handles syncing itself. By signing into the same membership account on all of your devices, they’ll all have access to your 1Password data.

If you’re using a standalone license instead of a subscription membership then yes, it is possible to sync using iCloud:

How to sync 1Password with iCloud

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Hi Ben and thanks for your reply - however, that two types of licensing are available is quite new to me...I signed up for a free trial month at the beginning of september, so I thought I have to solve this within this trial month before deciding whether I will continue with a full subscription membership or not.

Your reply then indicates in my opinion that my three devices (MacBookPro, iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6s) would thus already be fully synchronized already (if haven´t omitted to do something necessary to configure the synchronization) - but they are not.

How do I proceed - to determine where the problem lies?

Secondly, the reply from Lars (colleague of yours?) indicates a solution which I cannot find...Besides from the fact that my 1Password software is in Swedish, the language is not the problem, I just can´t find the functions referred to.

I quote Lars reply earlier today:

"Welcome to the forum, @ulbn! Sorry for the confusion. You can delete your Primary vault by selecting it in the Vault menu in your Mac's menubar (Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary), then clicking Vault > Delete Primary Vault. Hope that helps. :)

There are no limitations on what you can do with a 1password.com account during the trial period."

The above three screen shots is was I get when clicking on the 1Password icon at the top to the left - neither of those give me any clue of how to delete the Primary Vault...

(As a marginal remark, you can see that these drop-down menus are partly in Swedish, partly in English....is that natural?) ("Sök" in Swedish = Search )

Hoping for further help/guidance, I remain
    Very truly yours
    /B

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ulbn

...however, that two types of licensing are available is quite new to me.

Two types of licensing aren't available. What is available is: standalone licenses, purchased from within the 1Password 7 for Mac app, or a 1password.com membership (subscription). It sounds as if you chose the latter -- which is what I'd recommend.

...my three devices (MacBookPro, iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6s) would thus already be fully synchronized already (if haven´t omitted to do something necessary to configure the synchronization) - but they are not.

Thanks to the screenshots you provided, that's because you created at least one standalone vault, which are not part of your 1password.com subscription (trial or otherwise). The initial standalone vault is always called "Primary," ("Primärt"), that's how I know you've done this on at least one device. Can you please look in Preferences > Vaults (in 1Password 7 for Mac) and Settings > Vaults (in 1Password 7 for iOS) and tell me what you see there? How many vaults, and what are the names of the vaults? Thanks.

To answer your question, when I said the Vault Menu, I meant this (with 1Password as the active application):

What you're looking at/clicking is just the 1Password mini that's always present (unless you turn it off). Hope that helps.

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Thanks for your quick reply, but the local time here in Sweden is almost 11 at night now - rather late for me. I will look into it tomorrow or so.
    Rgds
    /B

• No worries — this is a discussion forum not a live chat, so messages are intended to be read and responded to asynchronously. :+1:

Ben

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Thank you Ben - your assistance is muck appreciated!

Before I continue my efforts to get my 1Password configured and working, perhaps I have to take a few steps back and concentrate on one issue at a time….Generally I have some concerns and I am possibly somewhat too anxious to perform certain actions during installation/configuration, since I feel that some actions that I could do in the 1Password software might be totally irrevocable and may result in unintended permanent loss of password informations and logins. Will I get a warning by the 1Password software when I am about to perform any ”fatal action” that cannot be reversed?

Anyway, a rather basic question for me is as follows: Why are two different vaults created when I first signed up for 1Password? I think that I will only need one vault for my data, not both a Primary vault and one Personal vault in addition. Can I therefore delete the few passwords i have in the Primary vault (or transfer them to my Personal vault), and then completely delete the Primary vault. So that there will be only one vault for me.

To delete the primary vault, is this executed by deselecting the check mark below in the enclosed Screenshot ? (Next to the Swedish text within the red-circled area that reads as follows, my own translation, ”To deactivate this function will delete your Primary vault and let you use your 1Password account to lock up 1 Password. ”)

Is that what I am expected to do to delete my Primary vault?

Please advise - your support is fundamentally valuable to me!

Regards
    /B

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ulbn - I don't know for certain why you have both a Primary (standalone) vault and a 1password.com account; there are a number of ways you could end up with that configuration, but unless you remember the exact steps you took, and the order in which you took them, it'll be likely difficult to say. However, it's not necessary to figure this out if all you want to do is have your data in your 1password.com vaults only.

If you have moved your data out of your Primary vault and into the Personal vault, then you can delete your Primary vault either of the two ways we've discussed here: by using the Vault menu item I mentioned earlier in this thread and in another thread, or by de-selecting the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts" that you noticed in Preferences > Advanced. Both will do the same thing: remove your Primary vault.

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, now I have deleted the Primary vault according to instructions, and after some search and discovery ”in the 1Password maze” I have now got it working I think.
    I will be back if I run into more/other difficulties...I just hope that I haven’t messed up in some way...
    Best regards
    /B

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ulbn - it shouldn't be a "maze"; I'm sorry you found it to be so. :( One thing I might suggest is that you look at our support site if you have questions about how things are supposed to work -- most of what you might want/need to do in 1Password has how-to steps right there, available to a search. But you can always let us know if you have questions or run into difficulties as well -- that's why we're here! :)

This discussion has been closed.