1Password updated to version 7 without notice

This discussion was created from comments split from: Upgrading to 1Password 7 cant find secret key.

Comments

• petalhanger
    petalhanger
    Community Member

I'd just like to add that rolling out 1PW7 for Android without any in app advance warning or notice to users was really bad form in my opinion. Even Windows which is notorious for updates gives users notice about forthcoming updates, what changes to expect and, crucially, the opportunity to delay them. I opened 1PW on my phone to find it had been updated without my knowledge or consent and now required OPV format and I totally am not in a position to make the changeover on my windows machine yet. I have a seriously heavy workload and now need to devote time I don't have to understand the new format and make the change. I have multiple back-up devices - memory sticks in various places - that will also need to be updated so this is going to require a significant amount of time. I seriously do NOT appreciate 1PW strong-arming me into a change when I'm simply not ready to make it. I think it's just rude quite frankly. I cannot find, anywhere, a simple explanation of how to change my 1PW4 vault from agile keychain to OPV and for me, the crucial issue is that OPV handles attachments the same way as my current agile vault - which I cannot find information about. Again, I need time to do my research. At one point I did think maybe I'd let the Android app do the heavy lifting but the conversion failed. Please allow users to rollback to the previous android version for a limited time - say two months - to give people time to learn the new format and make the changeover - a period of grace you should have allowed by providing advance notice of the update in the app itself.

• jimk4003
    jimk4003
    Community Member

Auto-updates aren't really controlled by the app itself in Android; it's a setting in the Google Play Store. If you open the Google Play Store and go to Settings > Auto-update apps, and then select 'Do not auto-update apps', this won't happen in the future. Not much help with the situation you're now in, but it might help for next time.

Google Play usually has auto-update apps enabled by default (apps that are kept updated automatically are usually considered a good thing), so unless you change it the phone will pull down any app updates as and when they become available. Individual apps can't really override this; it's a function of the operating system and Google Play.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

Even Windows which is notorious for updates gives users notice about forthcoming updates, what changes to expect and, crucially, the opportunity to delay them.

@petalhanger: jimk4003 is correct, but I'm sorry for the confusion. And indeed, you can disable automatic updates in Windows both for the OS and Store, just as you can on Android. The Google Play store, however, does not support "rolling back" to earlier versions.

Since you've been posting all over the place and it's been difficult for us to get a clear picture of your situation as a result, I've merged your comments here:

Questions about update conversion process

Let's continue in that discussion so we can help you with your issues more efficiently, since trying to keep track of multiple conversations slows down the support process for everyone — including you. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.