I have been using 1Password 6 but don't understand a reason to upgrade and spend $50.

fcarters
fcarters
Community Member

I have been a licensed user since 1P3, and remember paying a reasonable upgrade fee ($20-30) and just purchased a new MacBook Pro. I transferred IP6 over successfully, but when prompted to update my software, 1P7 got installed as a demo and now warns me it will expire unless I fork over the dough.

I thought I could continue using 1P6 with High Sierra. I am not aware of any features worth upgrading for. I do not use the family membership feature, but use IP6 across my Apple platforms (synced with Dropbox) on my iphoneX, MacPro and iPad in addition to my laptops. I am afraid I am not saving new passwords, as all my other devices are 1P6.

What gives? 1Password is constantly pushing minor upgrades and I did not realize 1P7 would install over my 1P6. Am I stuck into spending $50.

Thanks,
fcarters
photojournalist

1Password Version: 1P3, 1P4, 1P6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:why upgrade 1password 6

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@fcarters - thanks for being a long-time user of 1Password! You can indeed continue using 1Password 6 for Mac in High Sierra, but we can't in good conscience recommend you do so. Version 7 has been out for a few months now, and that means version 6 joins its predecessors in the "Legacy" category. It won't be receiving further development attention, and, while it's still pretty compatible now, Mojave will be out soon and the likelihood of incompatibilities will only grow over time.

1Password 7 for Mac is indeed a paid upgrade. Purchasers of 1Password 4 for Mac have enjoyed the last two versions of 1Password for Mac (5 and 6) as free upgrades; it was time to do a paid upgrade, the first since version 4 was introduced in 2013. During the current launch special pricing, you can pick up a license for $49.99; regular price will be $64.99, though I don't know when the launch special pricing will end.

Assuming you are using the same sync keychains in Dropbox on all your devices, there should be no problem using a mix of 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 -- but here again, we can't recommend it. If you are using 1Password for iOS on your iPad, chances are you've been using 1Password 7 for iOS there for some time and potentially never even realized it, as 1Password 7 for iOS has been out considerably longer than 1Password 7 for Mac.

If you want to return to 1Password 6 for Mac, you should Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then delete it by dragging it to the trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then you can re-install 1Password 6 for Mac (if you don't have a copy, you can get one from our downloads page down near the bottom of the page).

• Sheikan
    Sheikan
    Community Member

I have been using your app for many years so not sure if I am a 'member' or not?
    Also you say "During the current launch special pricing, you can pick up a license for $49.99; regular price will be $64.99, though I don't know when the launch special pricing will end." Would prefer to pay a lump sum than a monthly stipend but can't find that option, all I can find is a monthly fee?

• Sheikan
    Sheikan
    Community Member

Ignore previous query - have found the two options. Opps

• Thanks for the update @Sheikan. Membership is a subscription service, so unless you've been paying a subscription you wouldn't have a membership.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.