Any way to have the 1Password app open but not have logins displayed?

charlesbarbour
charlesbarbour
Community Member

When I launch 1Password on my Mac, it seems that the default behavior is to display the logins contained within my vaults. Most of the time this isn't a big deal but if a coworker comes to look at something and I have to fill a form or search for login info, I don't love the idea that when I switch to 1Password that they can see all of my logins. Essentially they can see that I have a saved login for abtorrents.me, actblue,, etc.

By default, for whichever account is currently selected, they can also see the username I have for the account.

Is there any way to set 1Password so less information is visible by default but not reduce the functionality or usability of it? I don't want to have to enter my master password every time I want to use the app. Nor would that really address the issue with all the account being visible anyway.

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Magic?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@charlesbarbour: Two suggestions: leave 1Password locked if you're concerned that someone is looking over your shoulder; or, failing that, before you close/lock it, select something in the sidebar which you don't really use. I've only got test items in Servers currently, so that won't show anything interesting next time I open/unlock 1Password if I leave that selected. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• charlesbarbour
    charlesbarbour
    Community Member

That was kind of what I was thinking.

I can essentially create one dummy item so a category I don't ever use and leave that displayed. It would be nice if there was a way to make that come up by default and/or switch to that category with a shortcut.

Having something like an "obliviate mode" which would show only the vaults and/or search field but which obscured the rest of the screen might be nice. When I'm showing my screen to coworkers or via Zoom, I often need to pull up 1PW. I don't like the idea of them seeing all the accounts I have, but nor can I really not use the app in front of them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can essentially create one dummy item so a category I don't ever use and leave that displayed.

@charlesbarbour: I can't take credit. Your idea is much better. :)

It would be nice if there was a way to make that come up by default and/or switch to that category with a shortcut.

I'll take credit for this one though: why not create another vault with nothing (or nothing important) in it and set that as the default view in Preferences > Vaults? I'd suggest not setting it as the default vault for saving of course. I think that would help with what you're describing. Any time you quit 1Password completely, that would "reset" it to a view with no real data. Let me know what you think. :)

• charlesbarbour
    charlesbarbour
    Community Member

I'll give it a whirl and see what happens! I think I'd still like an option to effectively have a privacy mode. Essentially only show a search box.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@charlesbarbour - we'll certainly consider it. There are a lot of ideas out there for things to do in/with 1Password. Some, like yours, are good, some...let's just say "less so." ;) From our perspective, the problem is that even for the good ones, an overriding concern is usability of 1Password for the greatest number of people -- and that means being mindful of the lightness of the interface. If we wound up adding a checkbox/toggle/preference setting for all of them, we'd quickly have something that less resembles the clean, intuitive and helpful UI of the best products, and more resembles, well, this:

It's why we have a pretty high bar for introducing new "user-selectable" elements into the UI for 1Password -- sometimes, due to changes in the OS or other things, new elements have to be introduced. But we consider them very carefully before we make any additions, because we know that many users will simply never approach something that looks and functions like the above. In the case of a "privacy mode," our recommendation to users from a security standpoint has to be not to use 1Password in circumstances where you consider the environment hostile or potentially so. A privacy mode that allows users to do so is an interesting idea, and we'll definitely consider it. But one of the reasons we give out workarounds like the one brenty gave above is because we know how much is on the developers' plates, and how high a bar we set for the addition of new convenience features.

This discussion has been closed.