Going from 6 -> 7 (Mac), I can no longer press enter to fill current web form?

jrshoch
jrshoch
Community Member

I recently switched from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7. I'm used to being on a login page, opening 1Password Mini (option+command+), searching for a login, and then pressing enter. On 1Password 7, this seems to instead open a new tab and try to login there.

Is there a way to complete my previous workflow?

The best I can come up with right now is to type my username, tab to the password field, then option+command+\ => search for the login => command+shift+S, command+V to enter the password.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Chrome 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Going from 6 -> 7 (Mac), I can no longer press enter to fill current web form?

Comments

• @jrshoch,

does the item you intend to fill on the page not show up under the suggested items list in mini?

• jrshoch
    jrshoch
    Community Member

It does not. In this case, I'm using it on a different domain than the standard website.

In general, even if a login does not have an associated website, I still want to be able to press "enter" to have it fill username&password and then submit.

It seems like I can get the desired behavior by adding several domains to the one login, if anyone is looking for a workaround. I still miss the old behavior though!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jrshoch - this behavior is intentional, to help prevent phishing attacks. If you're trying to fill a password into a site that it's not listed for, we don't want to enable that ability. Hope that helps. :)

• jrshoch
    jrshoch
    Community Member

For my own education, is the idea here that if I have a password saved for "mywebsite.com" and somehow I end up on the malicious "rnywebsite.com", when I use my muscle memory to enter my username/password, 1Password will fail to do so?

That's great stuff! Hadn't thought of that. 1Password is once again protecting me and earning my trust in the process.

Is this advertised anywhere? This would've prompted me to move to 1Password 7 more quickly, had I known.

Thanks!

• That is exactly correct. :) It isn’t advertised as a feature in v7 because it isn’t new. 1Password has always done this, but we do mention it in our security guide:

https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

Phishing protection. 1Password only fills passwords on the sites where they were saved. No one can steal your password by pretending to be a site you trust.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.