Safari 12 and 1p extension question

telUK
telUK
Community Member

Hi

With the recent Safari 12 release I noticed a lot of extensions are no longer supported, seems like Apple is changing the way it supports extensions and how they are developed.

I just wanted to know if the 1p Safari extension is supported and ready for Safari 12 and Mojave.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telUK - I'm tempted to just reply that it's working fine here on my beta install of Mojave already. ;) But more seriously, we wouldn't leave you without a solution for the most popular browser on the platform, the one made by the hardware and OS developers. Yes, Apple have changed a lot about how extensions work in the upcoming Mojave and Safari 12, but in the forthcoming update (7.2), we return to the Safari App Extension model, where the extension is actually part of the app, and not delivered through separate channels. I think you'll like it, but you'll have to wait a little longer unless you want to run betas. :)

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

Hi @Lars

Thank you for confirming, when you mention about the extension becoming part of the app in 7.2. I use your website download instead of the app store for 1p, will It still be fine like this?

• rudy
    edited September 2018

@telUK,

The Safari App Extension will be part of both the App Store and direct download versions of 1Password.

• BlochHed
    BlochHed
    Community Member

I am totally baffled. Since installing Mojave, the Safari extension to access 1Password seems to not exist anymore. I have found pathways to getting extensions, but none seem to apply to Safari. Also, at various points I see forms where I am asked for my secret code or whatever it is called. I have a paid version of 1Password, but not a family or membership, so I am pretty sure I don't have a code like that. A popup says I don't need that code to proceed, but that seems to be untrue.

• @BlochHed,

If you're using 1Password 7 then you don't need a separate extension. If you're still using 1Password 6 then you'll want to install from the "Using an older computer?" section, at the very bottom of the list is "Safari extension for 1Password 6".

• BlochHed
    BlochHed
    Community Member

Thank you Rudy. I just looked and yes,,,, I am using version 6. I will upgrade and that will hopefully resolve this. Thanks again....

• chask
    chask
    Community Member

I am running a very old version of 1Password - V3.8.22 and it has performed very well but since updating to Safari 12 the extension no longer works. I have tried deleting the old one, clearing out the library and reinstalling, but still the same message to the effect "MacOS doesn't reconize addresses starting with ......."

Realise I may be asking a lot with such an old version, but is there anyway I can get it to work?

Really not keen to go to a subscription service a la V7.

Thanks.

• @chask,

The only option there is going to be to try and extract your information from the extension and import it into something else. your best bet with help on that is going to be to email support + forums @ 1Password.com

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

Why does the extension still exist in Safari/Preferences/Extensions - or is it no longer an actual extension?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Oxon - as of version 7.2, the Safari App Extension has returned. The 1Password Safari App Extension (like all other such) is a built-in part of the app itself, not a separate download from our website or the old Safari Extensions Gallery. When you install 7.2 (or higher), you install the 1Password SAE, and it will be visible in Safari's Preferences > Extensions. You'll be able to distinguish it by the fact that its version number will always match that of the current 1Password version. The previous extension had its own version number (currently at 4.7.3.90).

This discussion has been closed.