Can family members create vaults?

Options
scacl
scacl
Community Member

I purchased a family membership in July and got on the password manager bandwagon (finally). I have invited our two grown children to share our account. I need to check my assumptions.
1. Each family member has his/her own private vault that no other family member has access to.
2. There is also a vault that that is permanently set to share with ALL family members.
3. As organizer, I can create as many vaults as I want and share them with any combination of family members that I choose.
4. Here's where I think my understanding went awry. I had assumed that my daughters (ie. all family members) could also create vaults that they they could share as they chose (without my having access.) I now think that family members cannot create vaults.
Am I right in assumptions 1>3? What about #4?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @scacl! Let me try to take your questions in order:

1. Correct. A Family Organizer can delete someone's account, or suspend them, but even they cannot see the contents of another user's private vault.
    2. Correct. That's the default "Shared" vault that every family member has access to as soon as you confirm their sign-up.
    3. Correct.
    4. Family members (not organizers) currently are unable to create new vaults for themselves. YOU can create new vaults for them, but they cannot create them for themselves. You can get around this limitation if you wish by making everyone a Family Organizer. Not only does that create redundancy in who can assist if another family member loses his/her Secret Key or forgets their Master Password, but it means that everyone will be able to create vaults.
This discussion has been closed.