Another Stupid Upgrade v6 to v7 question.

Options
AlphaBovine
AlphaBovine
Community Member

Hello wonderful forum people! So I've decided I want to look into going to 1P7 and I downloaded it, installed it, but the old file vault on Dropbox is the old extension so 1P7 wouldn't let me select it. I prefer to do a stand alone single license purchase (not into the subscription model) but I'm stuck at how to proceed since 1P7 can't read the .agilekeychain extension. The site says there should be an import feature that just works but I'm not seeing it.

How do I import the 1P6 Dropbox vault into 1P7 and still use Dropbox as a standalone license? Thanks so much!

J

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlphaBovine - not a stupid question at all. You should not need to worry about importing your Dropbox keychain if you previously had 1Password 6 on your Mac. The first-run of 1Password 7 for Mac should locate version 6 data and import it automatically. It should also notice that you were syncing via Agile Keychain and notify you that an upgraded needed to be performed on the sync keychain (from Agile Keychain to OPVault), and guide you through that process as well. Is that NOT what happened to you?

If you installed 1Password 7 for Mac onto a new (to you) Mac, then of course the above won't happen because you don't have any previous version 6 data on that Mac. In such a case (and it sounds like in your case), you will want to do the following:

1. (if you haven't already) Create a Primary (standalone) vault.
    2. Click File > Import and choose the top option: "1Password Keychain" (this means Agile Keychain specifically).
    3. Navigate to the correct Agile Keychain in your Dropbox folder and continue the process of importing.
    4. Click Preferences > Sync and set the sync type for your vault to Dropbox. Do not attempt to select the Agile Keychain; it won't work, and we want to create a new OPVault for sync anyway. Make sure you choose the location Apps/1Password within your Dropbox folder; 1Password 7 for Mac is sandboxed and can only make use of standard locations within Dropbox.
    5. On any other devices you have synced with Dropbox, turn OFF syncing briefly, then turn it back ON to Dropbox, and use the new OPVault keychain instead of the older Agile Keychain, otherwise the devices will not be in sync. You may be asked to merge the vaults when you do this; this is OK (presuming this data had previously been in sync with the older Agile Keychain).

Let us know if you run into any difficulties or have any follow-up questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.