What Will Happen To Non-Administrative Members’ Data If The Family Organizer Deletes Her Own Account

Options
firexcy
firexcy
Community Member

I’m migrating my 1Password vault into a family group, but here is a concern (though imaginative):

What will happen to family members’ data if the family organizer (a) deletes her own account, (b) moves a member out of the family, or (c) terminates the family plan? Do other members have any recourse in such a situation, and if they do, what options are available?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@firexcy: If the family account is permanently deleted from the Settings page, everything is gone. However, a single member deleting their user Profile will not affect others. So, as in life, it's important to give family members only the power and responsibility they can handle with 1Password Families as well.

• Basop
    Basop
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Would it not be a good idea to not delete a family account removed user completely but rather convert that persons deleted account into a trial personal 1password account in order for yourselves to a) Possibly gain them as a new user. b) Allow the user to still access their own personal vault to export their data and migrate to a personal account or different service.

I see this being of use when for instance a family splits up due to circumstances such as a child moving out or a mutual breakup. The way I see it the shared vaults should stay within the family account however a personal vault is just that and should stay with the individual user as other members in the family don't have access to that anyway. The current model seems to work well from a business or teams point of view where any data in the "personal" vault would be company credentials however in a family context this does not make sense.

Just my 2 cents worth and I'd be interested in knowing if this is a planned change or the reasoning for not doing so?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Basop: I think it's a cool idea, at least based on the preference you seem to be expressing, but 1) not everyone will want that behaviour and 2) it isn't currently possible. Certainly it could be an interesting option that some folks would appreciate, but there's a lot of room for confusion (and disaster) there, so we'd need to make sure a feature like that helps more than it hurts, and minimize the chance for people to do the wrong thing and end up in a bad state as a result.

This discussion has been closed.