I have no sync button on my Preferences menu bar in 1Password7 for Mac

jaybro
jaybro
Community Member

I and using a new MacBook Pro. I have no sync button on my Preferences menu bar in 1Password7 (version 7.1.2) for Mac. The buttons are as follows: General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, Vaults, Browsers, Updates and Advanced.

I'm trying to make sure I'm syncing using Dropbox. I also have a very old version of 1Password version 3.8.22 (which no longer works with Safari) on my MacBook, but still works with Chrome on my old iMac.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I have no sync button on my Preferences menu bar in 1Password7 for Mac

Comments

• Hi Jaybro,

If you are using a 1Password.com subscription account, then there will be no Sync tab in preferences. Sync is handled automatically for accounts.

Are you able to upgrade your 3.8.22 install to version 6? It's free with your account and supports macOS back to 10.10.

If you wish to have additional vaults, that do not sync with your account, you may add them. To do this, you will need to turn on Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. This will create a new Primary vault which you can sync with Dropbox. You can add additional standalone vaults as needed. Just remember, these standalone vaults do not sync with your account and you are responsible for configuring sync, and handling backups.

• jaybro
    jaybro
    Community Member

Hi chdseld,

Thank you for your quick response. I'm not sure how to upgrade my 3.8.33 install to version 6. The macOS is 10.11.6. When I click on "Check for updates" in the 1Password dropdown menu, it says, "Check for updates failed with error: Could not understand response from server. Please try again later."

If I went the additional vault route, will it still sync both computers with Dropbox?

Also, I was able to add my iPad to my new individual subscription account, but it uses the old Master Password from version 3.8.33 that it probably found on Dropbox. Does that mean it's not going to sync?

If all else fails, I will just manually enter any new passwords on the old computer. I'm just afraid that Safari or Chrome updates will decide my old version of 1Password is "illegal" on my old iMac, which my husband uses every day.

• jaybro
    jaybro
    Community Member

two typos: 1) your screen name chadseld
    2) old 1Password version is 3.8.2

• Version 3 is so old, I don't think the auto-update server is plugged in anymore :). You can download version 6 from here https://1password.com/downloads/ -- scroll to the bottom where it says "Using an older computer?"

If you go that route, there is no reason to sync any vaults with Dropbox. It needlessly complicates things.

But, to answer your question, when you add additional standalone vaults (vaults not attached to your account), you are free to configure them to sync with Dropbox.

Your iPad probably has a Primary vault that is syncing with Dropbox in addition to your your account vaults. 1Password uses as the unlock password, the password of the first vault. So in this case, that would be the password of the Dropbox vault.

You can remove this vault in Settings > Vaults, and then your unlock password would be the password for your 1Password account.

• jaybro
    jaybro
    Community Member

Thanks. I installed version 6 and it works!

• @jaybro,

:) :+1:

Let us know If you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.