Lost! Trying to sync from my 1password on Mac 3.8.22 to a new iphone 8

skp
skp
Community Member

Hello! Hoping you can help me out. I am on a macbook air , running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 .
i've been using 1password on my computer for many years, i have version 3.8.22
for a long time, 1password has synced to my iphone. but i've recently gone through several new phones and now i am stumped.
I'm trying to sync the program on my computer to the phone.
i can't tell how to see the version of the app on my phone, but the app is empty.
the app is set to sync to iCloud but the mac program syncs to dropbox.

i'm afraid i'm not computer savvy enough to figure this out!

do i need to re-install the app?
do i need to update the program on the mac? i'm afraid to lose info !

thank you,
shira

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud and dropbox (?)

Comments

• skp
    skp
    Community Member

based on your earlier help with the same issue it seems, i'm installing the dropbox sync on my iphone app. how will it know to sync with my current dropbox archive from the mac program?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@skp - I'm sorry for the confusion just now, shira! 1Password 3 for Mac is very, very old as computer applications go (it was introduced in 2009!), and I'm a little surprised to hear you've even been successful getting it to work on macOS Sierra. None of the modern versions of 1Password for iOS can sync with 3.8.22 on Mac, by any of the means of sync we had available at that time; you will need to upgrade your version of 1Password for Mac before you can sync successfully with 1Password for iOS.

We've got a good step-by-step guide for upgrading from version 3 to the current 1Password 7 for Mac on your Mac. Go through those steps first, then once you've done that, you can resume syncing with 1Password for iOS. I'll caution you that if your last purchase of 1Password for Mac was back in the version 3 days, then 1Password 7 for Mac will be a new purchase for you. Things have changed somewhat since the last time you downloaded a new version. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made. I'd strongly recommend a 1Password account for someone who self-describes as "not computer savvy" -- it saves you from having to mess with third party sync options like Dropbox or iCloud; you just download the latest version of our app on all devices, sign into the account you created, and your data is always right there, in sync across all your devices. Let us know if you have any trouble. :)

• skp
    skp
    Community Member

wow. thank you for kindly and generously explaining all of this. Go Team 1Password!
    I'll get right on it and will let you know if I run into any mass confusion.

thanks again, Shira

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@skp - sounds good! :)

This discussion has been closed.