Multiple issues and problems with 1Password7 -- I HATE it!!

Options
kutenai_id
kutenai_id
Community Member

I can't stand it. I just hate version 7 from the core of my being.
I've been using 1Password since version 3 at least.. and I love love loved it. Recommended it to so many people, whole companies!!
I would not recommend it to anyone at this point.. I just HATE IT!

I'm super frustrated right now. Beyond the ability of words to describe.. I keep using large type.. that's the only way to get across how angry I am at this very moment!!!

WHY???

I created a password using the "menu bar" version -- in the past, this would always give me a HISTORY of passwords.. Easy. Now, no such option exists.

That's the FIRST thing to make me angry. So, I open the 1Password App.. and look in my password history, surely it's there right???

Nope.. no "created" passwords for more than a week.. and, notably, NOT THE ONE I JUST CREATED!!!!

So, next, I manually create a new login for "RockAuto".. enter my username/email, copy in the website, etc.. click save.
Now, I go and search for "RockAuto" and what do I find? No entries?? Huh??

I must have done it wrong...

I do it again.. search again.. what do I find?/ NOTHING!! I browser through all passwords starting with "R".. and it's not there?? WTF!!!

I'm so angry I could spit!!!

So, on TOP of this fiasco and total #Fail for 1P -- I find that on the iPhone version, I can do a search.. and then, after I do a search, the search just "hangs". I mean, I can clear out the search entry, and it SHOULD go back to all entries, but it won't. The only way I can fix it is to " force quit" the app and restart it, THEN I can search again. So, the 1Password App for iPhone only lets you search ONE TIME, then you have to close and restart it.. Seriously?? WTF!!!!

Now, I'm just punching pillows I"m so flaming angry at what used to be one of my FAVORITE programs, and is now my #1 most hated!!

If I didn't have like 3K l logins, etc. in the app I swear I'd switch to LastPass!!

Is 1Password going to STAY SHITTY??? IF so, I'd better start looking for alternatives.

Mega pissed off in Boise..

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password online

Comments

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member
    Options

Quite and restarted 1Password and tried to create my RockAuto login again.. and it still didn't work!

I created it using my iPhone.. and finally, it worked.. I don't even know what is going on..

• Hi @kutenai_id ,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with 1Password 7. I realize how frustrating it must be to expect something to be there only to find it gone. When we redesigned 1Password mini (The window that appears when opening from the menu bar or browser), we left it out. We can certainly consider bringing it back in the future.

I'd like to explain a bit about what the Password History menu did. Whenever you fill or copy a password, it is saved to an item in the password list. However, if you are asked (after logging into a web site) to save it, it is turned into a Login item. So if you click in the Login section in the sidebar, it will be there.

If, on the other hand, it asks you to update an existing Login item, it will be saved into the Login item that previously existed. The old password that was there before saving is moved to the Previously used Passwords for that login item. If you click "Show Previously Used" passwords when looking at a login item, it will show the previously used passwords.

The Password History menu was basically an amalgam of those things - the generated Password items that were never saved to Logins, and the Previously used passwords from Login items for the site you are on. So you will find them in either the Passwords list, or the Logins list, but you may need to click "Show Previously Used Passwords" to see them.

I'm concerned that you mentioned you Quit and restarted 1Password and tried to create your RockAuto login again. When you said it didn't work, what happened? Can you provide some detail there? What steps did you take to create the login? And is the extension working in your browser? (i.e. when clicking the 1Password button in the browser toolbar, does it bring up 1Password mini?)

With that, we should be able to help you out.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member
    Options

First, it never saved the "password" as a login. When I 'filled' the rockauto site, I was NOT prompted to create a login for RockAuto. I see this happen "on occasion, and I generally blame it on the site. No issue usually, as I can just find the password I just filled or pasted in the history.. unfortunately, you removed that! I tried going to the "main" 1Password app (not the mini), and looking at previous passwords, but it wasn't here either.. so the password I'd saved was just "gone".

yes, I tried 3 times to create a login for Rock Auto manually. Something I've done countless times before. I clicked + for . new login, then I changed the destination 'vault' to be one of my 1password for families vaults.. entered the name, username, and website (not the password.. that's gone, remember..), and clicked save. At that point, the entry literally just "went away".. I then searched for it.. and.. it was gone. As in search fond no entires for "Rock Auto" or Rock or Auto.. etc.

I did that 2 times.. Then killed 1P and did it again.. Finally, I did it on my phone, and that seemed to work..

Kind of just throwing my hands up in the air. I already blew more time than I can afford to spend on this.. I guess "it just works" -- doesn't

• Hi @kutenai_id ,

Thank you for elaborating. If it's not offering to save logins it sounds like your browser extension is not working, which would cascade into the other problems you are having. I'd like you to check two things:

1. Go to the Preferences in 1Password and click on Browsers. Make sure "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them"
    2. Go another web site's login page and click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar (not in the menubar). Make sure it brings up the 1Password mini window.

If the above two steps work out, then that means the browser extension is communicating properly.

We then tried out the RockAuto web site. It turns out that site is not working with 1Password. I spoke to one of the developers that uses RockAuto and he had the same issues with it not offering to save the login. Sometimes sites use non-standard login methods for logging in that 1Password can not recognize. We've brought this to the attention of our browser extension developers so they will be able to update 1Password to recognize that site.

What I recommend for now is to manually create a RockAuto Login item in the main 1Password window. Fill in the website, username, and password. Then when you go back to the RockAuto website and click the 1Password icon (or use the keyboard shortcut), it should show the Login in the Suggest Items section, but you will need to manually copy the password until the filling/autosave issue is fixed.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing, but I hope we can get it fixed up for you soon.

Regards,
    Kevin

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member
    Options

That setting is correct for my preferences, and in general, the browser extension DOES work.
    I've found sites where the auto-detection does not work, and like I said, I'll just manually create the site later, and use my password history to find the password I created and saved. That's where the first issue came in.. even though I used the 1PMini to generate the password, it did not save that password in any history. note that I was able to work around this, but it was more difficult than it "used" to be.. hence, my frustration.

I still don't have an explanation for the inability to 'create' a new login for rock auto..

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member
    Options

Okay -- I just figured out the issue with the missing "created logins".
    When I click + and 'Login', the first thing I do is "change the vault". Then I entered the information. Then I clicked save.
    But, I noticed that when I entered a website address, the 1Password form would RESET THE VAULT..
    I didn't realize this, but it was going back and putting the items into my "iCloud Vault" - which I don't use, and had removed from 'All Vaults'. Now, realized I had this as the default in preferences, which I've now changed, but I also was in the habit of explicitely setting my desired vault..

I have 3 teams, and many vaults per team.. the idea that I have a "default" vault is -- well, useless for me, since each item I need to manually set the destination.

I'm not happy that 1Password "resets" the value AFTER I've gone and set it.. so, maybe you can look into THAT.

• Hi @kutenai_id ,

We can certainly look into that. It's a tough thing there for us to choose, as some customers have the scenario where they only switch to another vault very occasionally, and forget to change it back. Then they save an item, believing it's in the vault they use most often, but then can't find it. So, it's a bit tricky to make that work in a universal way, but we'll certainly put some consideration into improving that.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.