1Password update failed?!

rtpete
rtpete
Community Member

I just updated to Mojave and saw I had a update to my 1Password. When I try to install it I got this installation failed message and can do nothing at all now with 1Password. Each time I try to open it I’m really get those box.

Prior to this I had the most recent version running. I have never used the beta program.

Help! Help! I feel useless at this point as I cannot open 1Password at all.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @rtpete,

That alert looks like you manually launched the 1Password Updater.app rather than launching it via 1Password.app's Check for Updates menu item. Can you locate the installed version of 1Password and choose Check for Updates from under the 1Password 7 menu?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@rudy, I hope you will forgive me for chiming in, but I had the exact same problem. I had to quit both 1Password and the 1Password agent, fetch a clean copy of the installer from the Agilebits website and install it from the package. Not a horribly convoluted process, but definitely not auto-update, either. :)

• @Deleted User,

Did it say Validation Failed or the OP's message which indicates that the Updater was manually launched?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@rudy · I had both. One on each of my machines, both of which were solved by the procedure mentioned above. But even the OP’s error message made little sense in my case: I certainly did not attempt to launch 1Password’s updater manually and the message appeared seemingly out of the blue at the end of the update process.

• @rtpete,

You can definitely grab the latest version from https://1password.com/downloads

@Deleted User,

Did you engage the update via a Notification or was it the full update window already being presented?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@rudy · Full update window, definitely. I knew the update was available and went to 1Password → Check for Updates… to install it. I spent a few moments reading the last version of the release notes and launched the update from there.

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

Since making my original post about everything seems to mysteriously working now. I can now open the app without the message and the pop up shows as expected when I want to sign on to a website and all seems to be working just fine.
    So I’m not sure what happened but seem to be happy with things right now.
    By the way, I updated from the notification popped up in the upper right corner which sent me to the updater.

• Hi all,

It may have been a caching issue. Thanks for letting us know it's working now.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Shap27
    Shap27
    Community Member

I have this same issue how do I reinstall this app with out loosing all of my logins?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@Shap27, I cannot comment for AgileBits but you should be able to download a fresh copy of the installer from the website and to apply it on top of your existing configuration. Since the data is stored separately from the application, one should not affect the other.

Just make sure to quit 1Password fully first: to do that, open 1Password, click on the 1Password menu, hold down the ⌥ and ^ (Option & Control) keys and click on “Quit 1Password Completely” at the bottom. Once this is done, launch the installer and allow it to do its work. You should then be able to continue using 1Password normally, with all your data and settings as you left them.

• The installer will actually quit 1Password completely for you, but yes, that should work. :+1: :)

Ben

• Shap27
    Shap27
    Community Member

Ok. Thx...

• dmkahn
    dmkahn
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

I got the same pop-up message, right after I did the mojave upgrade, just by responding to the automatic upgrade prompt. (not by launching anything manually as suggested above.)

Then after the failure, the only way to get rid of the updater icon in the dock was to remove it manually.

Then I started 1p, did the upgrade from the 1p menu (check for upgrade), which never got rid of the 1p updater icon in the dock again.

-David

• dmkahn
    dmkahn
    Community Member

Figured out the dock thing, there's a new entry in dock system preferences to "show recent applications in the dock", that leaves the 1pw updater app in the dock. I assume this is new with mojave. It just looks odd to see the updater app stay in the dock.

But if you run it from the dock, you get a popup saying update failed: "Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." so if you have any control over it showing up in the dock or not, it might be a good idea to change it so it doesn't show up.

-David

• rtpete
    rtpete
    Community Member

I discovered exactly the same thing. So I rushed to the System Preferences and chose the Dock. I turned off show recent applications. After that all is well.
    Whew!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmkahn - yup, this is a function of the new "Recent Applications" feature in Mojave. Glad you got it sorted. :)

This discussion has been closed.