STP installation not cleaned up

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

After installing 1Password 7.2 on Mojave with both Safari and Safari Technology Preview installed, I noticed that the old 1Password extension had not been cleaned up from the later’s Extensions folder. I had to manually remove the extension bundle from ~/Library/SafariTechnologyPreview/Extensions/ after which I was able to load the new and improved version.

This raises a few questions:

① How come this was not caught by the updater?
② Could running STP with the old extension cause any issues, security or otherwise?

Comments

• @Deleted User,

1Password nor the Updater take care of that removal. It is completely handled by Safari and pkd. I'll do some testing and get a radar filed if STP is indeed not removing the legacy extension.

The old extension has no ability to talk to 1Password 7.2, the WebSockets server that powered the old extension has been removed completely.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hello, @rudy! :)

① Hm, interesting. Thank you for setting the record straight and apologies for wronging 1Password. This happened to me on two different machines, but their configurations are near-identical. I’d be curious to know whether you can reproduce the issue on a standard install. :cry:

② It’s good to know that remnants of the old extension can cause no harm. :+1:

May I suggest adding a check to an upcoming 1Password update to locate and remove any old 1Password extensions that might be lurking about the Safari and STP folders? It seems a little clean-up operation might be in order on some machines at least…

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Deleted User - thanks for the suggestion, and glad Rudy was able to help explain things. :)

This discussion has been closed.