TouchID, but only sometimes

jpsear
jpsear
Community Member

Sometimes — the extension allows me to unlock with Touch ID. But — sometimes — it requires me to type my password. My password is very long and annoying to type.

I have set the option (in the Mac app) to only require the master password every 2 weeks:

https://i.postimg.cc/4NcmW1Q4/Screen_Shot_2018-09-25_at_11.14.58_am.png

Cheers,
James

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jpsear - I believe you. However, there may be other reasons for requiring your Master Password. For example, if Touch ID itself crashes (can happen), or you've made certain other changes to either your Mac user account or to 1Password. It can also be required if you've entered a "failed' fingerprint too many times - either you moved too much or didn't have enough of the correct area of the finger on the scanner, or you used the wrong finger (or even someone else had tried to use it when you weren't looking).

• jpsear
    jpsear
    Community Member

@Lars Makes sense. I would like to know the reason each time, but I guess that might clutter the UI...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jspear - indeed, there are plenty of things that fall well within the "this might be nice" range, but when looked at globally, we just can't add all of them, or 1Password would quickly become unwieldy bloatware, with far too many options/preferences/checkboxes/toggles/pop-ups to be welcoming to all but the nerdiest of power-users. If you wind up with Touch ID being required too often, then something may be wrong -- feel free to get in touch, either here or at support@1password.com if that happens.

This discussion has been closed.