Version 7.2 Issue with Safari on Mac

Options
dhertz
dhertz
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I updated to 7.2 this morning when prompted by 1Password and the extension no longer works in Safari. In fact, it's made Safari unusable - I've had to switch to Chrome. In Safari, every page I go to displays the error "Safari Update Required: An update to Safari is required in order to use the 1Password extension. Updates are available from the Mac App Store." However, when I go to the App Store it appears my Safari is as up to date as it can be for High Sierra. The only way I can update it further is to upgrade to Mojave, which there is no way I am going to do one week into a new OS release (nor would our IT team allow it at this point.). If I attempt to uninstall the extension from Safari I get a message that says the only way to uninstall the extension is to uninstall the entire 1Password 7 app from my Mac. Anyone else having this issue and know how to fix it? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: 7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 11.1.2

Comments

• @dhertz,

Is your IT team blocking the availability of the Safari 12 update? It was released by Apple on September 17th and is unfortunately required in order to use the Safari extension included in 7.2

• dhertz
    dhertz
    Community Member
    Options

I can check. Can I install Safari 12 and still be running High Sierra?

• @dhertz,

Indeed, Apple released for 10.12, 10.13 on September 17th and included it as the built-in version of Safari with Mojave when they shipped it on September 24th.

They list it on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

• travisbickle
    travisbickle
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. I am using MacOS 10.13.2 (Safari 11.0.2) with 1Password 7.2.1 installed from the Mac App Store. It took me quite some time to work out that the Safari extension (7.2.1 ) had to be installed via "Safari > Safari Extensions..." as there are no instructions on the Agilebits web site for installing the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7.

So now when I use Safari 11.0.2 with 1Password 7.2.1 running I get the same message as @dhertz: "Safari Update Required: An update to Safari is required in order to use the 1Password extension. Updates are available from the Mac App Store." I get this message on seemingly every page I navigate to in Safari - so Safari 11/MacOS 10.13.2 with 1Password 7 is completely unusable. And it appears that I can't remove the Safari extension - at least via the Safari preferences tab. I still haven't worked out how to do this. - Very deep sigh -.

It appears that the extension requires Safari 12 which requires MacOS 10.13.6 or Mojave. I cannot move from 10.13.2 to 10.13.6 or Mojave at this time. There is no indication of this ridiculous mandatory requirement on the Agilebits web site, in release notes or during the installation. So I have wasted hours on this and I will have to somehow roll back to 1Password 6 on my Macs, iPhone and iPad. Superb.

Coupled with the data migration "surprise" that I had to roll back, 1Password 7 is a colossal failure that has - and continues to - cost me time and money. Thanks a bunch guys.

If you've got any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Just wondering why you can't move from 10.13.2 to 10.13.6. Are you too involved with some project to do an update? After all, a point update like that is usually no trouble. Of course, updating to Mojave is another matter, and anyone might not wish to do so as yet.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@travisbickle - I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Are you using a 1password.com account/membership, or standalone data? Or a mix of both?

• cirby944
    cirby944
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I also have this same issue. My company has not yet release Safari 12 or Mojave to our machines so I get this error everytime I load a new page.

• talers
    talers
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this problem. Just upgraded to High Sierra, 10.13.6, but Safari 12 did not come with it, nor can I find the Safari update for downloading.

• talers
    talers
    Community Member
    Options

It seems the latest High Sierra update included an older version of Safari. See this discussion in the Apple Community: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8548771?language=en

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for the trouble, @cirby944 and @talers - unfortunately, there aren't really any good options to solve this at this point. My best workaround would be to use a different browser temporarily, if you can. Both Chrome and Firefox will work just fine without the limitations of the new Safari App Extension requirements in Mojave and version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac.

• talers
    talers
    Community Member
    Options

I fixed the problem via the Apple discussion link I posted above. I was able to locate Safari 12 update in the App Store after rebooting in Safe Mode. Installed and good to go again! Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@talers - thanks for the update; certainly updating to the current Safari 12 will solve the issue. What I meant is that we (1Password) cannot offer a solution for those who remain on 10.13.6, update to 7.2+, but won't or can't use Safari 12.

• MacJedi
    MacJedi
    Community Member
    Options

Safe Mode did not work for me. Safari v12 does not appear under Updates. Has anyone figured out how to get around this and install Safari v12?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MacJedi - you should be able to install from Apple directly, or from Mac Update.

• MacJedi
    MacJedi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. As posted here, the update suddenly appeared for me. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MacJedi - well, all's well that ends well, I guess? Glad you were able to finally download Safari 12. :)

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    Options

This is pretty unacceptable. With the removal of NPAPI plugins in Safari 12, it will likely be quite a while for may companies to move to Safari 12. For example, older Skype (Lync) for Business services require NPAPI plugins. In addition, since 1Password no longer runs in the local applications folder, I can't even back out to version 7.1, since like many corporate Macs we operate without admin rights.

I've been a long time 1Password user that migrated to the Family's plan. This kind of move without any warning and assumption that everyone moves to Safari 12 immediately is not acceptable. I'll likely be looking at other solutions now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacobp - I'm sorry for the trouble! Did your company upgrade you to version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac, but refuse to allow you to install Safari 12? If so, that sounds like something you'd need to take up with your IT department. To be clear, you can still install and use the 4.7.3.90 version of our extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery in Safari 12 in any version of 1Password 7 for Mac prior to 7.2. You can also continue to use Safari 11 in pre-10.14 (“Mojave”) versions of macOS, with the older-style extensions. And you can also use either Chrome or Firefox as you always have, or even use 1Password X in Chrome or Firefox. Hope that's helpful.

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for letting me know I could go redownload the old extension. That has gotten me working again. Corporations will block Apple updates (Safari 12) but not Mac App Store downloads. So we are prompted to upgrade 1Password automatically (and it was definitely not clear there would be an issue). It is likely that many companies will not upgrade for some time to Safari 12. There are still many services that require NPAPI plugins and don't have Safari replacements.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacobp - you're quite welcome! :)

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

@Lars Actually Lars, I don't have a solution it looks like. The extension from Apple's Extension website doesn't connect to 1Password 7.2. I can't use 1Password 7.1 since it's not available in the Mac App store and we operate without admin rights, so we can't install the standalone version from the website.

1Password just killed my ability to use this in my work system. I'm not willing to change browsers since 1Password decided it would only support the brand new Safari 12 (and not even support Safari Technology Preview).

I've been a huge fan of the Agilebits team - but this is a huge shortsighted stumble.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@jacobp - it isn't that we've "decided to only support the brand new Safari 12." My previous post notes that you can download 4.7.3.90 from the Safari Extensions Gallery in Safari 12 in any version of 1Password 7 for Mac prior to 7.2. What we did do is make the decision to support the newer style Safari App Extension because Apple is clearly intending this to be the future of browser extensions in Safari. They've (Apple) already removed users' ability to load .safariextz extensions directly from developers by downloading and double-clicking: the ONLY way to do it now is via the Safari Extensions Gallery...and Apple has told us that's likely to be sunset by the end of the year (no hard date yet, however). Let's assume they meant midnight, New Year's Eve, though: from that moment forward, if we did not have SAE instituted in 1Password 7 for Mac, we would literally be without any way for new users to use our newest version with the newest version of Safari. That strikes me as a much worse overall outcome. Safari 11 will continue to work with .safariextz extensions just fine, in either 1Password 6 for Mac or in pre-7.2 versions of 1Password 7 for Mac. And - for now - that same 4.7.3.90 extension will work in Safari 12 also...in any pre-7.2 version of 1Password for Mac.

1Password just killed my ability to use this in my work system.

I don't see how. Or I should say, only if you insist on running the very latest version of 1Password and ONLY Safari, but NOT the most-recent version of it. Otherwise, you've got options here:

1. You can take this to your IT team and make the case for allowing you to download/install 7.1.2 from us.
    2. You can use either Chrome or Firefox, either with the 4.7.3.90 extension, or using 1Password X
    3. If Safari 12 is still an optional install for you at work, that means you're using macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) or earlier, which means you could also make the case that you need to use Safari 11 -- Safari 12 is still an optional install for pre-Mojave versions.
    4. If you previously had a copy of 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you can uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac and re-install version 6 by visiting the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store, finding the older 1Password app and installing it.

I've been a huge fan of the Agilebits team

Thanks! :)

...but this is a huge shortsighted stumble.

I don't think so. We're well aware that other companies may be slow to move forward, and I've definitely got sympathy for those who have external limitations put on what they can do by either company policy or simply outdated hardware/versions of OS/etc. But we can't let that define how we work. We are going to keep iterating and improving 1Password as new technologies become available to us on the platforms we code 1Password natively for (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android). We were the first password manager with Face ID integration, for example - ready on day one - and we'll be continuing that forward direction for the foreseeable future.

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - I think you don't understand - it's against policy for us to run applications that require Adminstrator permissions that don't come from the Mac App Store, so I can't install your direct download unless it works in the local "~/Applications/" folder. This is a security control for our company that requires CISO exception.

I can't use 1Password since I updated from the Mac App Store (and there isn't a way to go back via the Mac App Store) since there wasn't any notification that said it required Safari 12. Agilebits has traditionally been pretty good about notifying significant changes.

I understand that Agilebits is a small company and may not have exposure to large companies evolving security policies, but (working in cyber security consulting), more restrictions are being put on system privileges (no admin account access, security exceptions to install / support any software that requires administrative permissions to install, etc.).

Appreciate you're going to stay on the leading edge, but it's going to unfortunately possibly lose me as a customer since I can't control the "2 week now outdated" browser that my company supplies.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@jacobp - I've been trying to understand, but what I learned from your previous post is that you're not interested in using a different browser, not unable to. That's certainly a choice you can make, but it doesn't mean we're excluding you. In the version 7.2 release notes, there are two places we mention using the Safari App Extension, to coincide with the release of Mojave. The first is right at the top, in the "tl;dr":

Using 1Password in Safari has never been easier than with our brand new Safari App Extension, built right in.

And then it's mentioned in more detail in the main body:

Let’s go on a Safari
    Starting today 1Password has built-in support for the Safari web browser, meaning you’ll never again have to install a separate browser extension to fill your passwords, credit cards, and personal information while browsing the web.

Can you explain this part of your post a bit further?:

I can't use 1Password since I updated from the Mac App Store (and there isn't a way to go back via the Mac App Store)...

I ask for clarification because there definitely is, and I explained it: visit the Purchased tab of 1Password and re-install version 6, if you had that version (or indeed any version prior to version 7).

We'd definitely be sorry to lose you as a user. However, I've offered you several ways to work around your current situation, and since we won't be changing either the sandboxing improvements that require installation into /Applications nor the SAE advancements, if none of my suggestions work for you, then perhaps it is best if you find another solution and we wish you good luck. Stay safe out there! :)

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars -

First, I shouldn't be forced to change my browser after a random (seemingly point upgrade).

• The release notes for 7.2 or 7.2.1 make no mention of requiring Safari 12: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7 - this is great that you know that the app extension & further 1Password 7.2 won't work with older Safari's, but should I have to be that technical to understand that I shouldn't update the software? Nope.

• I only see the current version of 1Password 7 (7.2.1) available for download in my previous purchases in the Mac App Store. Likely 1Password 6 isn't there, because prior to 1Password 7 I used 1Password direct downloads which worked without admin rights. This changed in 1P7.

Further, for a piece of software that worked just fine yesterday, that I pay for, to stop working, without any notice from the vendor is my issue.

I've now found your old releases link and download the local installable version of 6.8.9 and can now work - albeit with an old version and less features. I've wasted several hours getting productive today - thanks to an unknown and undocumented requirement in 1Password 7.2 / 7.2.1.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacobp - glad to hear you're back up and running! :)

• jflower04
    jflower04
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I ran into the same issue. Was able to resolve by downgrading 1Password to 6.8.9. Thanks @jacobp for the tip.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jflower04 - glad you were able to find a solution that works for you, though I'll stress that we can't recommend reverting to a previous version of our software that's no longer receiving development attention as any kind of a long-term solution. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• TdG
    TdG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars thanks for all your help on this, unfortunately I'm having the same issue.

I can't downgrade 1Password as the old version can't read the newer database (I'm on 7.3.2).
    I've updated MacOS to 10.13.6
    Safari is 11.1.2 and I can't update it any further through App Store.

Please could you let me know the best next step to resolve (I will use another browser in the meantime).

Many thanks

• Ben
    Options

@TdG

Safari 12 is supposed to be available for macOS 10.13.6:

Safari 12.1 ships with iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4. It’s also available for macOS 10.13.6 and 10.12.6.

(from https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safari_release_notes/safari_12_1_release_notes)

Could you please see Apple's guide on getting the latest Safari:

Update or reinstall Safari for your computer - Apple Support

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.