Usernames no longer showing

andmade
andmade
Community Member

Just updated to the new version today, and the usernames are not showing. Is there an option to add them back? I have to manage the site logins of several different people for the same services at work and it was handy to have the usernames shown so I could easily pick out the right one. 1Password is so good about pulling up the right site logins in the suggestions, that I essentially pick the logins solely based on the login name.

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andmade

It only shows the username if the items shown have the same title. So if you have two items:

"Item 1"
    "Item 2"

then it won't show the Usernames.

If instead you have:

"Item 1"
    "Item 1"

It'll show usernames next to them.

My guess is your items have different titles. Can you confirm?

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Oh, I see. Yes, most have different titles. I usually don't bother with writing the titles for logins and just go with what 1P picks since it'll load the right login regardless. So, even though the logins are all for the same site, the titles end up being different depending on which page I was on when 1P offered to save the password.

Truthfully, I'm probably not going to remember the title I was using previously if a new login gets added, but suggests up a different title, so the different title issue won't go away. I'll just have to rename everything to put people's name in the password titles so I can tell which one is correct.

Additionally, I noticed that now when the usernames do show up, they're in the same font/style as the title, so it is not obvious that a username is being tacked on to the title. It'd be more instantly readable to me if it went back to being italicized.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass it on to the rest of the team. No promises it changes but in general I agree with you on the italic/font situation.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Is there any particular reason why it was changed in the first place? Was there a complaint, a security concern, or did some UX/UI person just decide it didn't look good? I mean, the usernames are still showing on the Windows version regardless of what the passwords are titled. I know the platforms have 2 different UI paradigms, but I don't know why the macOS one has to be so different (and in some ways, inferior) to the Windows version. The team fixed the whole delayed hover/flyout thing from the previous version, which was greatly appreciated, but it just seems like 7.2 made many random changes at least on macOS. :/ I honestly would downgrade if I could.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@andmade - I don't know the reasoning behind that specific change, but I can assure you changes aren't made "randomly." The reason for the difference between appearance (and even, sometimes, functionality) between 1Password apps on different platforms is that we follow the design specifications and also the code limitations on each platform we design for. Some apps get around this by having only a browser extension, or writing their apps in something like Java, which looks the same everywhere, but we want 1Password to feel at home on the platform you use it on, instead of feeling slightly alien and out of place everywhere. I'm sorry you don't like some aspects of the new 7.2, and if you're interested in detailing things and sending in your thoughts, either here or to support@1password.com, we'd be happy to consider them for future releases.

This discussion has been closed.