Prevent 1Password In Dock at Login

dmbrown
dmbrown
Community Member

I'm requesting an option for 1Password to not show in the dock at login. As you know, it appears in the dock for a short while, then disappears. In macOS 10.14, this results in 1Password always taking a place in Mojave's spiffy new Recents section of the Dock.

Thanks much. I continue to be impressed with 1Password - I've used it for more years than I care to remember.

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: 7.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @dmbrown ,

If you go to the Preferences, click on Browsers, and uncheck "Always Keep 1Password Extension Helper Running" then it will not start at login. However, if you use a browser other than Safari, you will need to launch the app before using the browser extension.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• dmbrown
    dmbrown
    Community Member

I appreciated the response, However, the 1Password Extension is required by Safari. With the preference disabled, 1Password still launches when needed by the Safari extension (and resets the preference to "on".) So this doesn't accomplish what I want. For now, I have 1Password in the Dock itself, to keep it out of the Recent section of the Dock. But as I already have a full dock, and access 1Password from Safari, doing so isn't my first choice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmbrown - because of the way 1Password has to work, in order to be available to users in the menubar (the mini), this is the way it has to work -- the 1Password main app will launch briefly, then remove itself from the dock.

• dmbrown
    dmbrown
    Community Member

Lars - thank you for the information. I assume the need for the 1Password app to launch at startup is a new requirement of macOS 10.14, as it didn't happen in the past.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmbrown - not specifically, no. It's a function of a re-designed 1Password, where the app and the mini are now a single process. In the past, they were two different processes, but for various reasons (stability, compatibility, others) they were combined into a single process in 1Password 7 for Mac. As a result, if you want the mini running in your Mac's menubar on launch, the main app HAS to launch, briefly. We then hide the main app (simulates the old version's quitting, so it doesn't appear on your screen), but because of the way launching works, the icon must appear briefly in the dock.

This discussion has been closed.